Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MattN4
Helper I
Helper I

User maintenance in Apps

Hi,

We use premium capacity to share reports to our users. Only our developers have a pro license.

Once we deploy the reports we want the business owners to maintain who has access to the reports, however from what I can tell at least one business user per app will require a pro license. Is this correct?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi  @MattN4,

As the official document has mentioned that Items within a Premium capacity:

• Accessing app workspaces (as members or admins) and publishing apps requires a Power BI Pro license.

• Sharing an app requires a Pro license, but consuming an app doesn't.

• All dashboard recipients, regardless of the license they're assigned, can set data alerts.

• REST APIs for embedding use a service account with a Pro license, rather than a user account.

Once we deploy the reports we want the business owners to maintain who has access to the reports, however from what I can tell at least one business user per app will require a pro license. Is this correct?

So only the bussiness user who share the app needs the Pro license, the license of consumers no limit.

For more details about Premium capacity, you could have a good look at this article.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks but thats not the question.

I know who needs a license to share and consume the report. The question is regarding maintenance of users. A developer who creates the reprot will not know who should have access to the report, this is a business process function. Also there are fewer developers than there are reports so it's not feasible for a developer to maintain the access.

It seems then there is no way once an app is published there is anyway to amend the users who have access without a Pro license, which means I need to buy many more Pro licenses simply to add or remove names in the app distribution list. That is crazy.

Hi @MattN4,

For your scenario, it seems that there is no better ways for us to let the user without Pro license manage the access the report.

Perhaps a workaround for this one, although not a great one, could let the business owner use the Pro account of the developer to manage the access to the report.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors