Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TM_Visual
Advocate III
Advocate III

User bookmarks are turning off a filter that I don't want them to be able to change

Several users have created personal bookmarks that manage to turn off a visual-specific filter.

This occurs despite the fact that the filter has a 'lock' icon activated on the sidebar.

As an example, my table visual has a measure that is 'sales to date' for several years. On this table the country filter is set to 'international'.  But their personal bookmarks are turning the country filter off, so that the data is for both international and domestic. Because the visual is specifically about international data, I don't want to try applying a page level filter.

Is there a way to force it to apply? Otherwise I'll have to recreate the visual using an entirely new set of measures.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I didn't know lock would let them erase the filter. In my opinion the whole Filter Pane should be usually hidden from users. That will help you keep the filters on the pane clean to make the logic work. Otherwise you might have to add a hidden slicers that would affect that visual and they can't see to avoid removing the filter.

If you need to keep all you have, from a UX stand point you can also add warning red messages to annoy them like "if the filter has more than one value and it's not international then show the text CLEANING THE X FILTER WILL RESULT IN WRONG NUMBERS FOR THE X VISUALIZATION". Example: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/631231479177936896/powerbi-creando-mensajes-de-aviso-o-alerta

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I didn't know lock would let them erase the filter. In my opinion the whole Filter Pane should be usually hidden from users. That will help you keep the filters on the pane clean to make the logic work. Otherwise you might have to add a hidden slicers that would affect that visual and they can't see to avoid removing the filter.

If you need to keep all you have, from a UX stand point you can also add warning red messages to annoy them like "if the filter has more than one value and it's not international then show the text CLEANING THE X FILTER WILL RESULT IN WRONG NUMBERS FOR THE X VISUALIZATION". Example: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/631231479177936896/powerbi-creando-mensajes-de-aviso-o-alerta

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks, I guess that's the best I can do. Instead of the warning tile, I'm going to go stick on some music and create and format a dozen new measures. Fun! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors