Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

glenncogar
Advocate I
Advocate I

User access review for Power BI reports

My organisation would like to implement regular 'user access reviews' (as part of our governance on usage) on:

- content (reports, etc) published to the Power BI service, and

- who that content has been shared with (and ideally role for sharing e.g. member, admin)

periodically, we would like to be able to produce a list of published content and ask the publishers of that content to review who it is shared with and confirm that the sharing is appropriate/up to date.

Is there a way of doing this on a 'global' level? i.e. list all published content and who it is shared with?

I have seen the 'usage statistics' for individual reports (that I have published and shared) which tells me the data is there but I can't find an easy way of accessing it and creating my own report and I also cant see an easy way of doing it for all published content (including stuff that's not my own).

I am also aware there is a log but I understand this is really only showing 'access events' rather than what has been published and who it is shared with.

I'm guessing that Power BI keepts the data for:

- published content

- sharing

- content access

- etc.

in some underlying 'service' data and I hope there is an easy (API? service layer?) for getting access to this data and running our own governance reports/ creating our own governance dashboards.

Any suggestions welcome 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @glenncogar,

You can use Power BI reports and dashboards API to list dashboards and reports: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/getreportingroup

But currently there is no rest API to list shared users for each dashboard or report. You can go to Audit Log and search share dashboards/reports activities, find shared user by clicking each activity. 

Reports - Get Report In Group (Power BI REST APIs ...

docs.microsoft.com

Returns the specified report from the specified workspace. Required scope: Report.ReadWrite.All or Report.Read.All To set the permissions scope, see Register an app.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @glenncogar,

could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @glenncogar,

You can use Power BI reports and dashboards API to list dashboards and reports: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/getreportingroup

But currently there is no rest API to list shared users for each dashboard or report. You can go to Audit Log and search share dashboards/reports activities, find shared user by clicking each activity. 

Reports - Get Report In Group (Power BI REST APIs ...

docs.microsoft.com

Returns the specified report from the specified workspace. Required scope: Report.ReadWrite.All or Report.Read.All To set the permissions scope, see Register an app.

Regards,

Daniel He

Thanks for your reply Daniel,

your description of how to access the facilities currently available in Power BI was very helpful.

Based on your reply, I think I need to suggest to Microsoft that there are some governance/admin features they need to provide so that organisations can govern the reports and dashboards published and shared.

I have not really used the API feautes of Power BI yet so I'll try them out to see how close I can get to what we need.

Thanks for your help.  I hope that others also find this useful.

For anyone looking for similar features, please vote for this.  If you know that someone else has already requested this feature please let me know by posting the link(s) back here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glenncogar Hi! Were you able to find a way to get the list of users whom reports have been shared with?

Regards,

Ferdinand

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors