Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rashmij9
Frequent Visitor

User access for auto-refresh reports

I am relatively new to Power BI and I have been working on a project within my organization to create a dashboard that has initially been created in the desktop version using the SQL server, then published and shared with users over the web interface.

I have weekly auto-refresh scheduled for my report using a gateway that refreshes all of the data in my report.

I want to understand the following:

Certain users in my organization have viewing access to the report (with row-level security set); after the auto-refresh this morning, all of the users with access to the report could not see any data. They can access the report but can't see any data inside the report.

I was wondering why something like this could be happening? Also, do I need to share the refreshed report with all users every week after the auto-refresh is complete, or can users automatically see the refreshed version of the report or refresh the report themselves for new data to be reflected?

Would I need to define roles for each user so that they can access the refreshed reports each week without any error?

I'd really appreciate any information about all this 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rashmij9 ;

Do you mean that the organization users can see before, and suddenly can't see without other operations?If so,

We have to make sure that the operation of row-level security is correct.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

In addition, I’m not sure if this is related to service updates. I saw in the issue forum that other people have also posted related issues about row-level security. You can check if there are similarities in your situation.

Security roles not working properly after Fall 2021 update

Rls not working on embedded

If the operations of row-level security are correct, and your situation is not similar to their posted issue situation, then you could try to post your issue, and more, you could create a support ticket, which will be free If you have Pro(PPU) account. Go to https://support.powerbi.com, Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rashmij9 ;

Is your problem solved?? If so, Would you mind accept the helpful replies as solutions? 
If not,You could check the Issues forum here:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues.

If it is not there, then you could post it.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rashmij9 ;

Refresh will not affect RLS, I saw a similar post, I hope it can help you, or can you try to re-publish and set RLS?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Row-Level-Security-doesn-t-work-after-data-refresh/m-p/1197...

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rashmij9 ;

Do you mean that the organization users can see before, and suddenly can't see without other operations?If so,

We have to make sure that the operation of row-level security is correct.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

In addition, I’m not sure if this is related to service updates. I saw in the issue forum that other people have also posted related issues about row-level security. You can check if there are similarities in your situation.

Security roles not working properly after Fall 2021 update

Rls not working on embedded

If the operations of row-level security are correct, and your situation is not similar to their posted issue situation, then you could try to post your issue, and more, you could create a support ticket, which will be free If you have Pro(PPU) account. Go to https://support.powerbi.com, Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Best Regards,

I was able to correct this issue by setting appropriate row-level security access for each user. 

I also wanted to know if there is a way that users can automatically access the report each week after every auto-refresh? 

As of right now, I share the updated report with all users after the refresh happens every week but I was wondering if there is a way that this can happen automatically?

Hey,

So I had originally shared the report with certain users who could all see the report without any errors. I have a weekly refresh scheduled that refreshes all of the older data and brings in new data (if there is any). After the refresh went through, none of my users could access any of the data in the report.

I have some particular row-level security access set for some users in the report. Do you think this could be happening because I am refreshing all of my data instead of an incremental refresh?

Does the RLS get affected because of an overall refresh of the data?

Thanks

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

No.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

sounds like your RLS rules might be too hard coded, maybe including dates ? And they "break" with new data?

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @rashmij9 

No wouldn't make sens to do that every week after every refresh. Instead check out what could have happened at the source level, or authantication issue for those specific users.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors