Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

User Security Settings - See everything they have

There are a few parts to this question:

1. Is there a way to select a user and see everything they have access to?
    1. For example, I want to select John Doe and see what Apps he can view, and what Row Level Security settings he has granted to him for various reports.
  2. Is there a way to select a report and have it spit out a list of all Row Level Secrity settings/authentications is has applied to it and who is listed on them?
    1. I know I can see this information in the service, but if I want to be able to provide a list the only way I see to do this is to type it out
      1. Use case for this would be when the developer who is maintaining PBI is asked by a manager to see who has access to view their information.
  3. Is there a way to blanket remove all access from someone?
    1. If a user leaves the company, how do we clean up all the row-level security groups to remove their name?

Thank you in advanced

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

Please see my replies below.

1. For example, I want to select John Doe and see what Apps he can view, and what Row Level Security settings he has granted to him for various reports.
    2. GQ ANSWER: As far as I am aware currently this is not possible. You would need to get this from the Azure Audit Logs to see what Apps and reports they are accessing
  2. Is there a way to select a report and have it spit out a list of all Row Level Secrity settings/authentications is has applied to it and who is listed on them?
    1. I know I can see this information in the service, but if I want to be able to provide a list the only way I see to do this is to type it out
      1. Use case for this would be when the developer who is maintaining PBI is asked by a manager to see who has access to view their information.
    2. GQ ANSWER: If you have permissions to the App Workspace or to the dataset, you could go into the Dataset properties and then click on Security, which would bring up the Security details, which would then show who is in what Row Level Security Role.
    1. If a user leaves the company, how do we clean up all the row-level security groups to remove their name?
    2. GQ ANSWER: As far as I am aware you would need to go where the Row Level Security was applied and then remove the user from each Role. Also it could be possible that if you removed their Power BI License they would no longer be able to access Power BI.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

Please see my replies below.

2. GQ ANSWER: As far as I am aware currently this is not possible. You would need to get this from the Azure Audit Logs to see what Apps and reports they are accessing
    2. GQ ANSWER: If you have permissions to the App Workspace or to the dataset, you could go into the Dataset properties and then click on Security, which would bring up the Security details, which would then show who is in what Row Level Security Role.
    2. GQ ANSWER: As far as I am aware you would need to go where the Row Level Security was applied and then remove the user from each Role. Also it could be possible that if you removed their Power BI License they would no longer be able to access Power BI.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I guessed was the case; thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors