Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RogerSteinberg
Post Patron
Post Patron

User Roles and Report Views not working

Hi ,

I've followed the correct method of apply filters and viewer roles for a report. 

1. I created the roles using a very simple filter in the PBI Desktop such as AccountId = 1 for the first role, AccountID = 2 for the second, AccountID= 3 for the third:

2. I've updated the RLS security by adding the company members ( using their email ) to their respective roles. 

2019-12-02 12_01_32-Power BI 22222.png

The test view works great but when asking those members to view the report, they don't have the same view. I.e, they see other accounts.

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RogerSteinberg ,

I think the users are the members of your workspace. If users have access to edit content in the workspace, RLS can't restrict them. The document: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI  has specific instructions:

Be aware that in the Power BI service, members of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. RLS doesn't restrict this data access.

The relative role in workspace are admin, member and contributor. You could change their role to viewer. Then they will just view the data what you set.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tried that. I put them as viewer and even removed them from the workspace and they were still able to view the full content.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors