Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

opticshrew
Resolver II
Resolver II

User Access Limits and Performance Impact

Hi folks,

(1) How many users would it take before there were noticeable issues with Power Bi reports using direct query?

(2) Would this be the same when users are accessing the reports via Power Bi Report Server?

(3) Does increasing the spec of Report Server influence performance?

Thanks,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@opticshrew I'll answer the best I can, but these are conversations, not quick answers.

(1) How many users would it take before there were noticeable issues with Power Bi reports using direct query?

You would have to baseline your sql server and the current network traffic to that server. Then monitor the traffic increase, server load, and also do the same for the server that is hosting the gateway.

(2) Would this be the same when users are accessing the reports via Power Bi Report Server?

You would reduce traffic significantly if you are suggesting that you use "Import". this method would store a copy of the data in the cloud and only be refreshed when you scheduled the dataset refresh. Direct Query will be sending queries back and forth for every user interaction. You can limit this a bit in the Desktop. There are options to only execute the query after slicer selections have been made, etc. But understand that Direct Query is most likely the slowest and least user friendly in terms of end user experiance. It also requires the most understanding of all the different aspects involved in order to troubleshoot. I actually just wrote up a blog on this if you are interested - here

I assume "Report Server" is referring to the database location and gateway install. There is loads of information in the tech article that may be useful here Overall, I believe memory and network bandwidth are the two main blockers for performance.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@opticshrew I'll answer the best I can, but these are conversations, not quick answers.

You would have to baseline your sql server and the current network traffic to that server. Then monitor the traffic increase, server load, and also do the same for the server that is hosting the gateway.

You would reduce traffic significantly if you are suggesting that you use "Import". this method would store a copy of the data in the cloud and only be refreshed when you scheduled the dataset refresh. Direct Query will be sending queries back and forth for every user interaction. You can limit this a bit in the Desktop. There are options to only execute the query after slicer selections have been made, etc. But understand that Direct Query is most likely the slowest and least user friendly in terms of end user experiance. It also requires the most understanding of all the different aspects involved in order to troubleshoot. I actually just wrote up a blog on this if you are interested - here

I assume "Report Server" is referring to the database location and gateway install. There is loads of information in the tech article that may be useful here Overall, I believe memory and network bandwidth are the two main blockers for performance.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer, couldn't have wished for a better response!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors