Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PZUDGW
Helper I
Helper I

Use dataset as a workflow

How can I use a uploaded dataset from de PBI-service as a dataflow for other reports?

Greetings.

PZU

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PZUDGW ,

For reports on the service, particularly if you want to share them one day, using a local machine's locatoin is strongly not recommended.  There are a lot of reasons for this that I won't get into right now.  I understand that you are not on O365 but do you have Dropbox, or OneDrive or some other fileshare program that is cloud based?  If you do, then putting the file there is the way to go and then the Report and Gateway can both get there relatively easily.

I think that this would be the best approach to your issue.

As for creating a dataset that hits an empty report you still have the same problem - you are going to have to link to the local file and that will cause problems for you from the service.  And, to be honest, I don't know quite how that would work.  A dataset by definition needs at least one data source.  I guess an empty Excel file is a datasource....but, there is nothing to manipulate and so you can't build a report.  And, so, whenever you actually start a report, you have to start from scratch anyway.  I don't see the benefit of having an empty shell of a dataset on the Service.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @PZUDGW ,

I am not sure of the process there.  A dataflow is used to help create a dataset.  A dataset uses the workflow to access the data.  The dataset is the model layer.  So, if you are asking if a dataset can be used in multiple Power BI reports, the answer is yes.  I don't believe that you can have a workflow that uses a dataset to create another dataset.  You maybe could do this with PowerApps or some other tool.   

Other Power BI reports can also use an established Power BI Dataflow - without using an established dataset.  

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks collinq for your reply!

I have this excelfile with content that changes once or twice a year. Originaly I wanted to upload the local Excel-file in de PBI-service as a dataflow (to use in more than 1 report). But trying this from my local workspace, I did not manage to do this succesfully truth our gateway. I know it easy when using Office 365, but we still are on Office 2016.

So I was thinking of uploading a dataset + empty report, remove the empty report and use the dataset from the PBI-service.

Could you advice me how to proceed futher?

Hi @PZUDGW ,

For reports on the service, particularly if you want to share them one day, using a local machine's locatoin is strongly not recommended.  There are a lot of reasons for this that I won't get into right now.  I understand that you are not on O365 but do you have Dropbox, or OneDrive or some other fileshare program that is cloud based?  If you do, then putting the file there is the way to go and then the Report and Gateway can both get there relatively easily.

I think that this would be the best approach to your issue.

As for creating a dataset that hits an empty report you still have the same problem - you are going to have to link to the local file and that will cause problems for you from the service.  And, to be honest, I don't know quite how that would work.  A dataset by definition needs at least one data source.  I guess an empty Excel file is a datasource....but, there is nothing to manipulate and so you can't build a report.  And, so, whenever you actually start a report, you have to start from scratch anyway.  I don't see the benefit of having an empty shell of a dataset on the Service.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors