Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HHB
Frequent Visitor

Use buttons to navigate to another resport in Power BI (embedded)

I have a specific problem. I have one report (call it X) where I have inserted a button. When I click on the button, it should navigate to a another report (call it Y). And by the way: Long story but Drill Through or using another tab in the original/first report is NOT a solution).

I publish both reports to the Power BI service, fetch the URL for report Y, get back to the report X in insert the button with the URL in the "Action" field and republish the report. Well it works perfectly fine in Power BI Pro/Service. I click on the button in Report X and another browser window opens for the report Y.

However 98% of our user do not have a Power BI Pro license but rather we use Power BI embedded. And here it does not work. Is it a flaw? Is it not supported by Micerosoft? Is it a setting en the embedded environment that needs to be turned on or is the another work-around?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@HHB 

Assume that you are using Publish to Web feature for embedding the report. Did you try to add the embed URL instead of the actual URL in the web URL section?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HHB ,

Based on my test, the main reason that cause this issue is that when the user has no access to visit report Y, only has access to report X, if he clicks the button which directs to report Y in report X, he cannnot see report Y regardless of using direct URL or embedded code of report Y. After granting acees or sharing report Y with him, he can use the button to visit report Y normally.

In conclusion, although we can use Power BI embedded instead of pro license, sharing report is a one-way for each report. If we want to open other report links in this report, we need to have access to it.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HHB
Frequent Visitor

Another one came up with the solution (use the embedded URL - not the URL from the Service. But thanks anyway for the effort 🙂

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@HHB 

Assume that you are using Publish to Web feature for embedding the report. Did you try to add the embed URL instead of the actual URL in the web URL section?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Why did I not think of this. It works. Thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors