Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jlie
Advocate I
Advocate I

Use a Published PowerBI Dataset as Datasource for other reports

Hey there,

I stumpled upon a very simple idea, which I can't seem to realize with the current features of Power BI. Please help me out here, if this is in any way doable!

My ultimate goal is to build a lean and simple "reporting OLAP Cube". I frequently integrate multple datasources (mostly MySQL, Salesforce, Google Analytics, Zendesk, Local Files and the likes) into my reports, and some of my reports use the same sources and sometimes even the exact same queries over and over again. However, it is not feasible to put everything into one gigantic "master report/dataset", because it would make the queries incredibly slow. It would be very effective (especially maintenance-wise) to encapsulate some logically connected reusable queries into one dataset, publish it to the web and then query this dataset as some sort of OLAP Cube.

I already tried the "PowerBI Live Service"-Feature, but it is not feasible, because if I connect a PBIX to a "Live Dataset" I can not add other data queries which renders the whole concept completely unusable.

Is there any way how I could achieve my goal?

1 REPLY 1

@jlie My first thought for this would be to build the "Base" dataset as a Power BI Template file in the Desktop. Then you have a starting point for every new dataset you create saving you a bunch of time. This doesn't solve a single deployed model, but it would solve the duplication of efforts aspect.

There is no way to achieve a "starter" dataset in the Service that you would expand upon from there.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors