Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use Personal Gateway As A Service With Virtual Machine

Hi all,

I currently have a Power BI file that's utilizing Python to connect to Azure SQL and Azure Cosmos DB. In order to refresh the data, since Python is not yet supported by the enterprise gateway, I'm trying to install a personal gateway on an Azure virtual machine that will refresh the data for me.

When I'm logged into the virtual machine, the personal gateway is available and runs as expected. When I log off of the virtual machine, the personal gateway is no longer available. I've read that we used to be able to install the personal gateway as a service, but it looks like that's no longer the case... I noticed that the below link states the following:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-personal-mode

Question: Can I run the on-premises data gateway (personal mode) as a service?

Answer: No. The on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can run only as an application.

Is there a way to install the personal gateway (or have it run) as a service? Is there a workaround so that the personal gateway runs without having to physically log onto the virtual machine? Is there anything that can be done in Powershell to mimic the gateway acting as a service?

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you think the idea is helpful, can you please accept the answer as a solution? Then more people who have the same request will find the idea link and then vote it up to get fixed quickly.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As I know, there might not be a workaround to change the gateway of personal mode to as a service. You need to stay the VM logged in. There is an idea about Provide enterprise gateway support for power bi python scripting. You could vote it up and submit your comments to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors