Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Justair07
Resolver I
Resolver I

Use Multiple Gateways for Single Power BI Report

Hi,

Here is my senerio. I have data sources across the globe. Some in a server farm across the country. Some here in the same building as me, etc. That being said, it makes sense for me to put a gateway near the different sources so that way data is being pushed and pulled further than it needs to be.

I have a report that refrenses data from a server farm across the counrty and the same report refrences data from a local server. How can I use the two different gateways to set up my scheduled refreshes?

If this is not possible, I have to admit this is a huge flaw in the service.

Anyone run into this?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
CB-TWUL

Bump...

Has this been addressed yet?  I agree with the @Justair07 here.  Much like in the "Manage Gateways" facility whereby you can add new datasources to an exisiting "Gateway Cluster" , the almost reverse of having the ability to add multiple gateways to a "Dataset" is obviously the smart idea. Currently within a Workspace -> "Datasets" -> "Settings" -> "Gateway Connection" you can see a list of all gateways that are installed, my question is, is it possible to select multiple gateways (and mapped datasources) to drive that dataset??  or is the limitation such that only 1 gateway can drive 1 dataset?

CB-TWUL_1-1621517123051.png

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Justair07 ,

See if this thread will help you:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Multiple-Gateway-on-one-Power-BI-Report/m-p/719792 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-lianl-msft thank you for the reply. Unfortunately that articles is for setting up a gateway as backup. I want to use multiple gateways at the same time for a single report. For example, if I have data being pulled from California, I want to use a gateway I have set up in California. But if I have data being pulled from Michigan, I want ot use a gateway in Michigan. All in one report. Currently is apprears that this is not supported.

@Justair07 did you get an answer? I have customers that have multiple sites with the same data model trying to do a comparison of site vs site, the only way I can see it as possible is a singular report with multiple gateways same as what you asked here.

@Jarrad I wish but no. It seems to be the way Power BI is currently designed. 😞

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

have you looked at the white paper on this page
Planning a Power BI Enterprise Deployment
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/whitepapers

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors