Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nqzhhzmn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Usage metrics

Does anyone know if it is possible to look at how people are using Power BI in the organization?  This is what I have so far:

usage.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nqzhhzmn
Advocate II
Advocate II

I opened a case and Microsoft advised me to turn off "Block classic workspace creation"  in the Power BI admin portal at Tenant Settings > Workspace Settings > Block classic workspace creation.  After this, the report in question worked.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
dunn1373
Frequent Visitor

Hello, thanks for the post as you saved me a ton of time figuring out what to do!  

Have you figured out how to customize the report to specific time-frames?

nqzhhzmn
Advocate II
Advocate II

I opened a case and Microsoft advised me to turn off "Block classic workspace creation"  in the Power BI admin portal at Tenant Settings > Workspace Settings > Block classic workspace creation.  After this, the report in question worked.

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hello @nqzhhzmn ,

this is a little strange. Did you try it in another browser?

In general the usage metrics in the admin portal are not the best statistics. You are very limited there.

There are more sources where you can get usage data:

6.png

I would maybe try to get the data from the activity log as it gives a good overview over the usage within the Power BI service. You can then create a Power BI report based on the activity log in order to analyze the tenant.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Yes, I have tried both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.  It gives the same error in both.  We are interested in general in understanding which users are using Power BI at all.  So the usage metrics for individual reports does not do that.

The second type of auditing you suggested is the one that doesn't work.

We are looking for an easy way to do this, and using PowerShell or creating a Power BI report based on auditing logs is much too complex a project for the simple task we are intersted in.

Hi @nqzhhzmn 

Does your admin usage metrics dashboard work now? If not, is it possible to ask other Power BI admins or global admins in your organization to log in the Power BI Service and check whether they can see the content of usage metrics dashboard in their admin portals? 

If the admin usage metrics dashboard still doesn't work, please open a support ticket at https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET". The engineers can help investigate this issue from the back-end side.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

If I go to the admin portal > Usage metrics, the behavior reported above still occurs.  I get a grey screen with the message Dashboard couldn't reload.

However, lately I've noticed that there is a usage metrics report hanging around on my home page showing usage metrics for the Sales workspace.  This report is not in the Sales workspace itself, and I certainly didn't create it.   I've starred it so it doesn't disappear, but I don't know where it came from.

There are no other admins in my organization.

Hi @nqzhhzmn 

I suggest that you create a support ticket at https://support.powerbi.com. I saw a similar issue that the admin portal usage metrics dashboard is a grey screen with the message Almost done... Create a support ticket, so that engineers can help investigate this issue from the backend and may need to re-initialize the admin usage metrics dashboard.

The usage metrics report you mentioned is probably an improved usage metrics report generated for a specific report. You can refer to this doc: Monitor usage metrics in the new workspace experience (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Strangely, the usage metrics report I am seeing in my Sales workspace gives usage metrics for all the reports in the workspace.  It is exactly what I was looking for, but I don't know where it came from or why the admin portal usage metrics dashboard is giving an error.

It is a new feature provided by the improved usage metrics report in new workspaces. You can select a report in a new workspace, click ... to open the context menu and click View usage metrics report. If this is the first time you do this, Power BI might open the old usage metrics report. To display the improved usage metrics report, in the upper right corner, toggle the New usage report off switch to On. See Monitor usage metrics in the new workspace experience (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs for more details about this feature. 

For the admin portal usage metrics dashboard, I'm not sure why it is not generated correctly. Since we cannot re-generate it from the frontend, I suggest that you create a support ticket to ask engineers to help investigate the issue from the backend.

Jing

Right, except the usage metrics report I am seeing is not for one report.  It is for all the reports in the workspace.  I am using the new workspace experience.

I have generated a support request as you suggested.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors