Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rossella_
Employee
Employee

Usage metrics: report open and report page view

Hi all, 

i have a question about the new usage metrics. 

Is it possibile that "report Open" metric is lower than "Report page view"? Doesn't the system recognize every opening of report as a report page view? 

Should I sum report open (that means only "open" the report) and report page view (that refer to the navigation between pages) to have the total number of visualization of a multi page report? 

And If I have a one page report , I'll see only report open and always blank report page view? 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @rossella_ ,

Yes, an open and page view should be recorded the first time it is opened.  To clarify, the "Report Views per Day" is the Total number of view per day.  The "Report Views" is each times somebody opens a report.  Changing report pages is not an additional view.  If you want more robust reporting, you are probably going to need to move to the API and create your own reporting.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
madeal
Frequent Visitor

Bumping this as it is still an issue. Either opens are incorrect, page views are incorrect, or both are wrong. There are a significant number of instances where users have dozens of "opens" but zero "views" and even more with very few "views". If opens calculate correctly but views do not, that would be helpful to know so the report can be used with that in mind. Right now it's unusable 

JoceJuarez

Hello, I'm getting the same as madeal, in my workspace report opens appear greater than zero but with zero page views, is it possible that the "report opens" counter doesn't work correctly? or is there any additional activity that should be considered for this counter, thanks

rossella_
Employee
Employee

Hi @collinq  thank you for your answer but I still have a doubt: in case we have a "one report page", the open report metric should be equal to the "report page view", right? 

So every time I open the report, the system register both a Report open and a report page view (on the main page)? 

HI @rossella_ ,

Yes, an open and page view should be recorded the first time it is opened.  To clarify, the "Report Views per Day" is the Total number of view per day.  The "Report Views" is each times somebody opens a report.  Changing report pages is not an additional view.  If you want more robust reporting, you are probably going to need to move to the API and create your own reporting.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I'm getting some nonsensical data here. For instance, one user is showing 99 report opens with zero page views. It seems like this isn't working as intended. Do we know what (if any) of the metrics in this report are accurate? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@madeal Were you able to gain anymore insight into this? I am seeing something similar.

Is it possible page views via the App (as opposed to page views directly in the Workspace) are being excluded? or counted separately?

I have not. The numbers the report is spitting out are clearly incorrect so hard to have any confidence utilizing this feature. Would be nice if it worked but certainly inacurrate 

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @rossella_ ,

In the new usage metrics, a view is an "open-report event.  A report view is recorded each time someone opens a report.....  Changing report pages is no longer considered an additional view."  Also, remember that usage metrics are based on the last 30 days.  And, it takes up to 24 hours after a new report is added for metrics to appear.

On the new usage metric report, if you look to the right hand side, there is a "Users" and "Pages" and shows which page and the number of views per page.  

I would guess theoretically it is possible for a report to be open, for it to be "idle" and then another page opened and therefore you could get to more views than opens.  Or, if somebody opens a report once in the morning and keeps hitting refresh every 30 minutes or keeps popping back between two report pages, then the views would be greater than opens.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors