Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kasiao
Frequent Visitor

Usage Metrics not refreshing - dataset not found

Hi,

I have about 15 published reports and the usage metrics on all of them have stopped refreshing mid January.

The message at the bottom of the usage metrics page says:

Report usage based on data from 12/20/2021 to 1/17/2022. The usage data is outdated. Check the refresh history and data source credentials in the Usage Metrics Report dataset settings.

kasiao_1-1646225424565.png

When I then click to View the dataset I get an error message saying Sorry, we couldn't find that dataset. It may have been deleted or you may not have access to view it.

kasiao_0-1646225407409.png

Data last updated

kasiao_2-1646225438220.png

I'm the admin of all workspaces.

Can I recreate the usage metrics report file somehow?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

They are designed to be ephemeral. Data is only captured when they are active. For example, when you enable usage metrics the dataset will only contain data from that moment on, there will be no history. If you don't look at it for three months the dataset will be deleted etc. Think of it as a streaming dataset without history.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really well thought over product... I have the same issue over here. I find it incredable that all competitors can easily provide usage data and Microsoft legs behind years

It has its purpose, but it is not designed for serious reporting.  For that you need to rely on the tenant audit logs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found a great tool that supplies all the audit logs, however to do a check it would be nice to compare usage numbers with the Usage Metrics. To give you some background I'm working for over 15 years with several BI tools and I find it hard to grasp that there isn't a complete monitoring tool provided by Microsoft.

I have followed all the steps however my big issue is that I can't refresh the data of my Usage Metrics Data set.

Audit and usage settings:

2022-06-16 09_10_19-Power BI and 4 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png
When trying to open the Dataset:

2022-06-16 09_12_50-Power BI and 4 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png

Now I've seen a lot of forum entries only no sollution to this issue.

I'm a BI Administrator, so I should have all necessary access.

2022-06-16 09_33_10-User Details Panel - Microsoft 365 admin center and 7 more pages - Work - Micros.png

Then the best for last, this will help a lot of users over here that strugle to get PBI Usage Metrics: GitHub - migueesc123/PowerBIRESTAPI: A Microsoft Power BI Data Connector or Power Query Connector fo...

kasiao
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, can you help me understand the reasons why they are gone?

They are designed to be ephemeral. Data is only captured when they are active. For example, when you enable usage metrics the dataset will only contain data from that moment on, there will be no history. If you don't look at it for three months the dataset will be deleted etc. Think of it as a streaming dataset without history.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You cannot recreate these, they are gone.  Talk to your tenant admin and use the tenant audit logs instead.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors