Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Usage Metrics in SharePoint Embedded Report

Hi Everyone, I have created some reports in Power bi desktop, published them, and am now sharing them with team members through the SharePoint embed feature in power bi, but the issue is when I look at the usage metrics in power bi online I cannot see the views of users interacting with the report via SharePoint. Any ideas on how I can capture those views? 

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Current Usage matrix not available on embed report/tiles, you can take a look at below document to know the limitation about this feature:

Usage metrics for dashboards and reports

Q: Will usage metrics capture views from embedded dashboards and reports?
A: Usage metrics currently does not support capturing usage for embedded dashboards and reports, including the user owns data flow, the app owns data flow and the publish to web flow. In those cases, we recommend using existing web analytics platforms to track usage for the hosting app or portal.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

According to the documentation the usage report should include data from reports embedded in SharePoint, but it does not.

Am I misunderstanding the documentation?

Note

Usage metrics track usage of reports that are embedded in SharePoint Online. However, usage metrics don't track embedding of dashboards and reports via the “user owns credentials” or “app owns credentials” flow. Usage metrics also don't track usage of reports embedding via publish to web.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JamesWright

Hey Katie,

Have you considered a third party solution for tracking your SharePoint usage/report views? It seems like what you're looking for requires a bit more specialization than what the content pack can offer.

If you're interested, feel free to check out this comparison between the content pack and my company's solution, CardioLog Analytics. (which is also tightly integrated with Power BI). If you have any questions feel free to reach out!

James

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi James, Thank you for your reply. The information I am trying to find is similar to that of the power bi usage reports and seems pretty simple to me. I’m just looking to get the User name, page they accessed, the date they accessed the page, and the number of times they accessed the page. I need this information for a usage report that will be updated daily so I need a way to access that information consistently, not just one time. Please let me know if I can help clarify what I’m asking for. Does the third party solution you are suggesting deliver that information? 

Thanks,
Katie 

Hi Katie,

CardioLog Analytics can provide all the information you have requested and more. It deploys a javascript tracking agent on each page of the SharePoint portal to collect rich information on portal usage and events. In addition, it pulls data through APIs to collect user profile and user group information to complete the puzzle.

This overview report in CardioLog Analytics can give you all this information, allowing you to slice and dice your information per user and groups. 

If you'd like, I'd be happy to set up a demo for you and your team. You can simply fill this out and we'll get back to you. 

Best,

James

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Current Usage matrix not available on embed report/tiles, you can take a look at below document to know the limitation about this feature:

Usage metrics for dashboards and reports

Q: Will usage metrics capture views from embedded dashboards and reports?
A: Usage metrics currently does not support capturing usage for embedded dashboards and reports, including the user owns data flow, the app owns data flow and the publish to web flow. In those cases, we recommend using existing web analytics platforms to track usage for the hosting app or portal.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

According to the documentation the usage report should include data from reports embedded in SharePoint, but it does not.

Am I misunderstanding the documentation?

Note

Usage metrics track usage of reports that are embedded in SharePoint Online. However, usage metrics don't track embedding of dashboards and reports via the “user owns credentials” or “app owns credentials” flow. Usage metrics also don't track usage of reports embedding via publish to web.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like this might be a new update, so now the standard usage metrics report tracks usage through sharepoint embedded reports. Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Katie,
Well I think it should log usages on SharePoint, but it does not work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors