Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NickTrent32
Advocate II
Advocate II

Usage Metrics in New Workspace

I have a report published in a new Power BI workspace. After usage metrics were enabled on 03/19, the usage metric icon appeared next to my report. Usage metrics have been updating regularly over the last week. However, it is only tracking usage by users listed as an Admin or Contributor on my workspace. It is not tracking usage by users who have access to my app, and therefore my report.

Access is provided by adding distrution lists, as opposed to individual users. And I know that users have been accessing the report over the last week. 

Is that the intended functionality? Or is there an issue with usage metrics tracking usage from users via a Power BI app?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NickTrent32
Advocate II
Advocate II

I ended up solving this issue. The usage metrics button next to the report within your workspace will show you usage metrics for the undistributed report. Therefore, it will only show users who are admins, contributors, or members on your workspace.

The distributed report has separate usage metrics. These are accessible by navigating to Shared with me > click your app in the left navigation, and then click Report Usage Metrics Report. This usage metrics report aggregates usage metrics across all reports within your app, with no build in slicer to filter by report. I ended up editing that report and built my own Usage Metrics report with a Report DisplayName slicer added.

This is a bit unintuitive. I would prefer the Usage Metrics button within the app show the usage metrics for both my distributed report and the report within my app.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
NickTrent32
Advocate II
Advocate II

I ended up solving this issue. The usage metrics button next to the report within your workspace will show you usage metrics for the undistributed report. Therefore, it will only show users who are admins, contributors, or members on your workspace.

The distributed report has separate usage metrics. These are accessible by navigating to Shared with me > click your app in the left navigation, and then click Report Usage Metrics Report. This usage metrics report aggregates usage metrics across all reports within your app, with no build in slicer to filter by report. I ended up editing that report and built my own Usage Metrics report with a Report DisplayName slicer added.

This is a bit unintuitive. I would prefer the Usage Metrics button within the app show the usage metrics for both my distributed report and the report within my app.

I was able to get it to work the same way you described going through "Shared with me".  However mine are no longer showing any metrics.  Is it still working for you now?

@MEEnergy Yes, the usage metrics are updating each day for me.

I figured out what I was doing wrong.  I was still clicking on the little usage icon under actions.  It works when I cick on the "Dashboard usage metrics report".  Everythings working for me now. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue

News?

Thanks

I am working with Microsoft support to troubleshoot the issue. They have raised a bug with the product team on Thursday, April 4. I'll give an update once I know more.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @NickTrent32 

For it is a preview feather and just were enabled on 03/19, 

I would suggest you create a support ticket here to get a confirmatory answer.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have the same issue. I have just created a support ticket.

Thank you. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors