Please use this thread to leave feedback or questions about our new usage metrics feature for dashboard/report authors.
Update [10/5/2017]: we have successfully rolled out a batch of performance optimizations to the usage metrics feature! You should now see your usage metrics reports loading much more quickly. You should also no longer see the "ran out of resources" error on your visuals. Please let us know if you're seeing otherwise.
Update [8/30/2017]: we're rolling out updates to usage metrics to surface the names of the users who are viewing and sharing dashboards and reports! The rollout will complete by end of the week. See our blog post for more information!
Before we start, be sure to check out the documentation for more information about the feature.
Note also that we’ve created the following UserVoice items for improvements already on the backlog. Please cast your vote below to help us prioritize our investments going forward.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Hello! Thanks for the feedback. This is in plan for the next version of usage metrics.
Please vote on the following UserVoice idea to help us further prioritize: Usage metrics show the exact e-mail address/names of users who access dashboards/reports
Knowing the names of the viewers is a primary concern for us. I see the report contains a distinct count of the users, but not their emails/names. Can this be added please?
Unsure what the cause of this problem. These are steps I followed:
This method worked great for me this morning, I had a matrix showing all of the information i needed. I saved this report and let some managers know.
I checked again this afternoon and the matrix errors stating it had exceeded the allowable resources.
We have developed an automated method of pulling the O365 Power BI audit logs. When I evaluate the logs for ViewReport or ViewDashboard for a specific report or dashboard, the numbers don't align with the usage metrics. I am consistently seeing higher unique user and view counts in the usage metrics compared to the audit logs. Can you explain the discrepancy? Which are more accurate?
Hey all - thanks for the feedback.
@Ross73312: Thanks for the feedback, and apologies for the poor experience. This is an intermittent issue that we're working on fixing. For now, our guidance is to simply try again later. The fix will deploy at the same time as our planned performance improvements, as tracked by this UserVoice idea:
@zthill: are you looking over the same time span for both audit logs and usage metrics? And separately, were audit logs enabled for your organization over the entirety of that time period?
We have confirmed that we are looking at the same time period and audit logs have been enabled in the PBI tenant settings. We've been pulling the PBI audit log data using PowerShell since prior to the usage metrics addition. We've also queried the logs directly from https://protection.office.com/#/homepage and find the same results.
The dashboard and report with the largest discrepency is mostly viewed from iPad. We are trying to determine if that is possibly related. Once the feature is added to display WHO the users were, it'll make this much easier to do a side-by-side comparision.
It would be good if Power BI admins could create a similar report covering all content on the Power BI tenant which could then be shared with all users on the tenant. At the moment we are restricted to usage reporting at the workspace level.