cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
patrickoliver Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Usage Metrics for Dashboard/Report Authors Feedback

It would be good if Power BI admins could create a similar report covering all content on the Power BI tenant which could then be shared with all users on the tenant. At the moment we are restricted to usage reporting at the workspace level.

vaibhav_osc Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@zthill Was wondering if the method of pulling O365 audit logs gives access to who/when accessed the reports as well..

I was trying to use the inbuilt usage metrics but the details doesn't seem to be enough as well as the performance is quite poor and on certain occasions the visual doesn't even load. Hence, I'm looking at alternative ways to implement this.

erhodes Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Been waiting for this for a long time, but for some reason I don't see the 'Views by User Table' when opening the Usage Metrics for a report or dashboard. Additionally, when I 'Save As' and 'Edit' the Usage Metrics report i don't have a data set for users in the Fields Nav bar as per the Blog post on the 30th.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

zthill Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Yes it does.  You have to use PowerShell to automate pulling the logs

More info can be found here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-auditing/

Power BI Team sirui_sun
Power BI Team

Hold tight! As the blog post mentions, we're still rolling out this feature worldwide. It should be available everywhere by the end of this week. 

Ross73312 Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@sirui_sunim super excited about the usage metrics now showing Users.  The feature is now available to me, as i can see it in a new workspace i've created.  However, when i've removed my usage report in a workspace that has it already, when i create a new usage report it doesn't have the new user table.  Its almost like the usage report data is sitting behind the scenes somewhere.

Is there a way to clear that out properlly and have it rebuild?  I've tried delete my saved Usage dataset and click on the 'Usage Metrics' icon

EDIT:  I've checked this again now on a Monday (this post written on a Friday).  Running the metrics now produces the correct table.  Some sort of cache purging must occur periodically.  If anyone else finds this in the future, waiting is all i needed to do. I did delete my metrics, but i'm unsure whether that is required or not.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

erhodes Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Checked this am and I'm getting the user table now. This is great. Thanks for adding this feature. 

Roytjoo Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the nice update, however in our case it's so slow/ takes al lot of time to process, that the user visual times out with the out of memory. It would be quite beneficial if it works properly, even beter would of course be to see the statistics over the organization, and filter on workspace/ report/ user etc.

Thanks!

Ross73312 Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Im in the same boat now with the slow processing.  I delete and attempted to recreate my logs. They wont work now as they just timeout.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

corichter Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

is there a way to show the Subscriptions for a Dashboard in the Usage Metric report?

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 307 members 3,020 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: