Please use this thread to leave feedback or questions about our new usage metrics feature for dashboard/report authors.
Update [10/5/2017]: we have successfully rolled out a batch of performance optimizations to the usage metrics feature! You should now see your usage metrics reports loading much more quickly. You should also no longer see the "ran out of resources" error on your visuals. Please let us know if you're seeing otherwise.
Update [8/30/2017]: we're rolling out updates to usage metrics to surface the names of the users who are viewing and sharing dashboards and reports! The rollout will complete by end of the week. See our blog post for more information!
Before we start, be sure to check out the documentation for more information about the feature.
Note also that we’ve created the following UserVoice items for improvements already on the backlog. Please cast your vote below to help us prioritize our investments going forward.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Is there a way or an existing idea post out there (before I create it) to have an option to merge Dashboard and Report Usage Metrics? Soemtimes we look at the dashboard vs report and if they are much the same except for dirll down options. Combining the usage numbers often would be helpful (but sitll breaking them out for other needs).
I have a report built based on the origianl where the fitler for hte Report was removed allowing all reports to be visable across the Workspace. This report is still fairly slow.
sharing of usage Dashboards is already possible, you could select and use it. I did not check it with a colleague until now.
Any thoughts on why the usage metrics for a published app would not be showing users which have definitely logged on and viewed a dashboard?
Anecdotally it seems like iOS usage isn't picked up consistently.
I'm pleased to report that my usage reports, that were previously timing out, are now working as I would have expected them to. Great work @sirui_sun and team!
Great addition with the per user statistics!
Unfortunately the dataset performance is really slow and becomes almost useless when response time is 20-40 seconds when interacting with the reports.
I hope this is on the top of the agenda for the development team since these kind of auditing is highly requested for many customers and can add a high value when justifying investments into Power BI in the organization.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Improving the performance of the usage metrics reports is at the top of our priority. Work is in-progress which should significantly improve performance. We should have an update by end of September or October - stay tuned.
Separately - unfortunately there are no current plans to add email subscriptions to usage metrics, though I would encourage you to create/vote on the idea at ideas.powerbi.com
I've noticed that using the ViewsCount measure seems to cause most of my slow downs. I am connecting to a report usage metrics dataset on one of my workspaces through Excel and finding that almost any time I pull ViewsCount into the pivot the refresh never completes. I've waited more than 10 minutes at this point and its still trying to bring in the results.
I would really like to see which users subscribed to my reports and dashboard. Therfore I voted for this idea:
Thanks for the nice update, however in our case it's so slow/ takes al lot of time to process, that the user visual times out with the out of memory. It would be quite beneficial if it works properly, even beter would of course be to see the statistics over the organization, and filter on workspace/ report/ user etc.
Been waiting for this for a long time, but for some reason I don't see the 'Views by User Table' when opening the Usage Metrics for a report or dashboard. Additionally, when I 'Save As' and 'Edit' the Usage Metrics report i don't have a data set for users in the Fields Nav bar as per the Blog post on the 30th.
Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
Hold tight! As the blog post mentions, we're still rolling out this feature worldwide. It should be available everywhere by the end of this week.
@sirui_sunim super excited about the usage metrics now showing Users. The feature is now available to me, as i can see it in a new workspace i've created. However, when i've removed my usage report in a workspace that has it already, when i create a new usage report it doesn't have the new user table. Its almost like the usage report data is sitting behind the scenes somewhere.
Is there a way to clear that out properlly and have it rebuild? I've tried delete my saved Usage dataset and click on the 'Usage Metrics' icon
EDIT: I've checked this again now on a Monday (this post written on a Friday). Running the metrics now produces the correct table. Some sort of cache purging must occur periodically. If anyone else finds this in the future, waiting is all i needed to do. I did delete my metrics, but i'm unsure whether that is required or not.
It would be good if Power BI admins could create a similar report covering all content on the Power BI tenant which could then be shared with all users on the tenant. At the moment we are restricted to usage reporting at the workspace level.
Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!
Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.
Click here to read more about the July 2021 Updates
Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps