Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ShafiqRuslan
Helper I
Helper I

Usage Metrics - content not available

Hi all,

I'm trying to share PowerBI reports across my organisation and I do need to find out how to track utilization of the reports.

Based on my understanding, the reports have to be embedded in Sharepoint Online, which I've done. 

I've tried using this but it seems that I'm the only one who can view the content. The rest, I've tried with both Pro and non-Pro users, but it seems to show "Content not available."

I'm a PowerBI Pro user, but the rest of my organisation are not Pro users. So I have two questions:

1. Do the rest of my organisation have to be Pro users to be able to view the dashboard on Sharepoint?

2. If no, and if yes, how do I make the content visible in Sharepoint?

3. If not, is there any other alternatives for me to share the dashboard and to track their utilisation without them having a Pro account?

Thank you PowerBI Community

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ShafiqRuslan You are correct, don't use publish to web. There is no way around the licensing. You cannot share with other people for free. Every user needs to be covered by a license in order to see or share reports. Pro for each, or covered by Premium. You could also use embedded licensing, but in some way shape or form, you must pay for the end users.

The initial licensing model changed mid-2017, and all licensing is tied to sharing and collaboration.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@ShafiqRuslan First question, yes, everyone would need a license or be covered by a license. If you've embedded in SharePoint, you still need to share the content to the user in the Power BI Service

You can gather usage metrics for power bi reports within Power BI... I haven't heard of the requirement to embed in SharePoint... do you have a source for that info? You will get usage metrics for reports within a workspace level in the Power BI Service automatically.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Sharing within workspace requires a Pro license, right? The rest of my organisation only has the basic free PowerBI version. Hence, why this is not a feasible solution at the moment.

The reason why I would like to embed the dashboard to Sharepoint is because, there is a concern with security if the dashboard is published to Web. Embedding in Sharepoint restricts the users that can access the dashboard.

@ShafiqRuslan You are correct, don't use publish to web. There is no way around the licensing. You cannot share with other people for free. Every user needs to be covered by a license in order to see or share reports. Pro for each, or covered by Premium. You could also use embedded licensing, but in some way shape or form, you must pay for the end users.

The initial licensing model changed mid-2017, and all licensing is tied to sharing and collaboration.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors