Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Usage Metrics Issue not showing all users

Hello,

I'm running into an issue with the Usage Metrics not showing data for all users.

I first noticed this when I asked IT to run a full audit report. I compared this to the Views by user table in the usage report and discovered the audit report listed several more individuals. 

Last week I litterally watched 3 individuals access a dashboard. 5 days later, only 1 of the 3 are showing up in the usage report.

Is there a reason why the usage metrics aren't capturing all users?

7 REPLIES 7
RishikeshMore
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

Has this been resolved? Clients want to monitor the usage and utility of their dashboards/reports. But, this bug is making the usage report solution very unreliable, and hence unusable.

@v-shex-msft 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you raised an idea/issue with the community - I cant see some of my users as well. 

e.g. my one user is using all dashboards but I can see her usage numbers on all except one dashboard - why?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I think you need to take a look at limitations document of usage metrics feature first:

Usage metrics for dashboards and reports

Considerations and limitations

Q: I can't run usage metrics on a dashboard or report
A: You can only see usage metrics for content you own or have permissions to edit.

Q: Will usage metrics capture views from embedded dashboards and reports?
A: Usage metrics currently does not support capturing usage for embedded dashboards and reports, including the user owns data flow, the app owns data flow and the publish to web flow. In those cases, we recommend using existing web analytics platforms to track usage for the hosting app or portal.

Q: I can't run usage metrics on any content at all.
A1: Admins can turn off this feature for their organization. Contact your Admin to see if this is the case.
A2: Usage metrics is a Power BI Pro feature.

Q: The data doesn't seem up-to-date. For example, distribution methods don't show up, report pages are missing, etc.
A: It can take up to 24 hours for data to update.

Q: There are four reports in the workspace but the usage metrics report only displays 3.
A: The usage metrics report only includes reports (or dashboards) that have been accessed in the past 90 days. If a report (or dashboard) does not show up, likely it hasn't been used in more than 90 days.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Our company has 40+ power bi PRO users , all of them finished the tutorial for logged in and open a report we made, but only top 4 frequent users are listed in useage metrics. All of these users were using desktop and web browser, which is the most common enviroment for using Power BI.

Now my superviser need this usage report to prove our working performance, however the metrics report shows that only BI editors and my superviser are viewing these report. I don't think these Q&A you listed above are good answers to the situation we encountered.

Try again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your use of "try again" makes me Smiley LOL a little. 

Potentially rudeness aside, you are correct in that the usage metrics seem to be very limited. People are not populating as expected.

I did find a work around. If someone is an O365 admin, they can pull an audit log of everyone who has access a Power BI report or dashboard for the last 90 days.

Thank you for this information! 

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. Recently one new (Pro) user added to my App with all underalying access rights assinged Azure backend + Role in a model. Unfortunatelly his views are not visible in Dashboard Usage Metrics report. However, his views are recorded on report level (!). Raised a ticket via PBI Support, but since we have some issue with collecting traces, still awaiting the resolution. Any hints, what may be wrong here? The usage metrics for all the other users (with the same permission rights) are being updated normally (within 24 hours or so).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors