Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OzcarHui07
Frequent Visitor

Urgently - Problems with function Today (), in Power BI Service

Hello everyone

I have problems with function Today (), in Power BI Service

I have made a report on the measure: Requested Quantity of today, without making a filter.

I then send my report to Power BI Service and when I refresh the report, it does not show anything about the measure.

Example: Here in Power BI Desktop, this report run perfect la fuction today() for Cant. Solicitada, Cant. Programada, Promedio x Día, Desviación Estándar.

The formulas are: 

* Cant. Solicitado Hoy = CALCULATE(SUM(FactVentas[CantidadSolicitada]);DimCanalVenta[ECanalVenta] = 2 ; DimTiempo[Fecha] = TODAY())

* Cant. Programado Hoy = CALCULATE(SUM(FactVentas[CantidadProgramada]); DimCanalVenta[ECanalVenta] = 2; DimTiempo[Fecha] = TODAY())

* Promedio Sol x Día = CALCULATE(DIVIDE([CantSol];[Numero de Dias]); DimCanalVenta[ECanalVenta] = 2 ;DimTiempo[DiaSemana] = WEEKDAY(TODAY();2))

* Desviación Estándar = CALCULATE(STDEV.P(FactCantidadSolicitadaFecha[CantidadSolicitadaFecha]);DimTiempo[DiaSemana] = WEEKDAY(TODAY();2))

This run perfect in Power BI Desktop

but when i run in Power BI Sevice

😞 help me

Power BI Desktop: 1.PNG

And when I show this same report in Power BI Service:

2.PNG

Have I done something wrong?
Or how it works today () in power bi service
All help will be well received.

Help me!

Thanks 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @OzcarHui07

What happens is when you use the TODAY() function in the Power BI Desktop it uses your Local System time to determine this.

When you upload your file to the Power BI Service, what I can gather from testing is that all the Power BI Servers time is set to UTC. So if you are in a timezone that is say -10 UTC, then due to this it is not today, but according to the Power BI Servers showing as tomorrow.

What I suggest you do, is to alter your Today with -10 hours in the Query Editor?

So something like this.

TodaysDate = DateTime.From(DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.FixedLocalNow(),-10))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi @GilbertQ

Its perfect, thanks so very much, now i can show without problems.
I resolved the them of UTC, also the zone time.

although, only i have created a other column more of Date in the dimension time and it was asignated data type as Data / Time /TimeZone in the edit queries.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

It seems as if using UTCTODAY is making things work

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

OK, this is a bit of a bump from the past, but the problem in question ALMOST describes my problem perfectly. I too have a measure which is showing no results in the service, but is working perfectly in desktop, measure is this:

var calculationdate = today()
return CALCULATE(sum(PolicyData[GROSS_FEEAPPLIED]),PolicyData[ADJUSTMENTDATE]<=calculationdate)

To best describe what is going on here, I've got a main report which has a slicer that's looking at a disconnected date table in order to display statistics at different points in time - it just uses selectedvalue on the date table, this works perfectly in both the service and desktop. Someone's asked for a simpler version of the report that's just showing the current position. I've replaced the working formula with a simple today(). Works in Desktop, in the service anything that is using this logic is blank. If this was a situation like Gilbert described where the service is running on UTC rather than what our local computers are on, that's fine, but:

- I would still expect the measure to return everything before today's date, wherever in the world the service is based, and at most have +/- one day's worth of data erroneously
- I'm in the UK, so I'm on UTC half the year anyway, and close enough to it the other half that I would never expect to see any timezone-related issues

Is there a DAX command which will show today's date which actually works in the service? Is my use of a variable randomly causing an issue?
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @OzcarHui07

What happens is when you use the TODAY() function in the Power BI Desktop it uses your Local System time to determine this.

When you upload your file to the Power BI Service, what I can gather from testing is that all the Power BI Servers time is set to UTC. So if you are in a timezone that is say -10 UTC, then due to this it is not today, but according to the Power BI Servers showing as tomorrow.

What I suggest you do, is to alter your Today with -10 hours in the Query Editor?

So something like this.

TodaysDate = DateTime.From(DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.FixedLocalNow(),-10))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

Its perfect, thanks so very much, now i can show without problems.
I resolved the them of UTC, also the zone time.

although, only i have created a other column more of Date in the dimension time and it was asignated data type as Data / Time /TimeZone in the edit queries.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors