Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

schoden
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

UrgentPower BI service portal- Performance

Hi Experts, 

Please throw some light as I couldnt figure out what could be the reason slowing my company's system. 

My datasource is SQL database , connected via on-premises gateway and created dataflow to the power BI service and reports from it.

My reports are optimized and dashboard performance from those reports have no performance issue BUT its been noticed whenever the user uses those dashboard and reports, the database is slowing down becuase of which other systems performances related with the database surprisingly drops. 

MY understanding is power BI service caches all the related data in the report from datasource/database without having to interfer in the live connection.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @schoden 

Because Power BI caches the data, Import mode dataset sizes can be substantial. Refer to the following table for maximum dataset sizes per capacity. Stay well below the maximum dataset sizes to avoid refresh issues that might occur if your datasets require more than the maximum available resources during a refresh operation.

DATASETS IN IMPORT MODE
Capacity type Maximum dataset size
Shared, A1, A2, or A3 1 GB
A4 or P1 3 GB
A5 or P2 6 GB
A6 or P3 10 GB

For further information, please refer to Data refresh in Power BI .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @schoden 

I wonder which connectivity mode you are using. 

For import,  upon load, all of the data defined by those queries will be imported into the Power BI cache. Upon building a visual within Power BI Desktop, the imported data will be queried. The Power BI store ensures the query will be fast. All changes to the visual are reflected immediately. Upon publishing the report as a .pbix file to the Power BI service, a dataset is created and uploaded to the Power BI service. The imported data is included with that dataset. It's then possible to schedule refresh of that data,

For DirectQuery, upon load, no data is imported into the Power BI store. Instead, upon building a visual within Power BI Desktop, queries are sent to the underlying data source to retrieve the necessary data. The time taken to refresh the visual depends on the performance of the underlying data source. Upon publishing the report to the Power BI service, it will again result in a dataset in the Power BI service, the same as for import. However, no data is included with that dataset.

For further information, I'd like to suggest you refer the following documents.

About using DirectQuery in Power BI 

Optimization guide for Power BI 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-alq-msft  Hi 

I have dataset and can schedule refresh , so its import connection.????.. Through on-premises gateway and I have created dataflow  via it such that the data are dynamic. Will all the the  query be computed at the cached  Data power BI??? IF power BI caches the data , would power BI be interfering in the performance of companys data sources or its othe systems issue ????

Thanks in advance.

Hi, @schoden 

Because Power BI caches the data, Import mode dataset sizes can be substantial. Refer to the following table for maximum dataset sizes per capacity. Stay well below the maximum dataset sizes to avoid refresh issues that might occur if your datasets require more than the maximum available resources during a refresh operation.

DATASETS IN IMPORT MODE
Capacity type Maximum dataset size
Shared, A1, A2, or A3 1 GB
A4 or P1 3 GB
A5 or P2 6 GB
A6 or P3 10 GB

For further information, please refer to Data refresh in Power BI .

Best Regards

Allan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors