Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adunn
Helper I
Helper I

Uploaded Report - Can't Connect Gateway

Uploaded a Power BI Report from the Desktop app to an online workspace. I already have a gateway set up with the data sources this Report is using. When I go into the dataset and try to apply the Gateway, the "Gateway connection" menu loads infinitely: 

adunn_0-1601991485853.png

I cannot set a gateway or make this Report work in the cloud.

The report is DirectQuery, and I am using a Custom Connector. I have read the documentation, and the Gateway is set up to use the Custom Connector. The connector seems to have the code it needs to allow for gateway support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution. It is not ideal however.

I was keeping my Reports on OneDrive, and adding them to my Workspace through OneDrive. When I did this, the Dataset would not allow me to connect it to a Gateway.

When I published the Report directly through Power BI Desktop, I was able to connect the Dataset to my Custom Connector in my Gateway.

It is frustrating because this de-links the Report from OneDrive, so updating it locally will no longer result in a OneDrive refresh of the Report.

I hope this can be solved.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If that is happening and you have configured the Gateway, I would contact the custom data connector as this appears to have an issue because it is not loading?

Also do you have the latest version of the gateway installed?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, I am using the most up to date Gateway. I made the custom connector based off of a sample linked in Microsoft's docs, so...I guess I would have to contact myself.

Ha ha, ok cool.

I would suggest looking for some help to make sure the connector works in the Power BI Service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I will reach out to the people who made the sample Custom Connector, then.

Hi @adunn ,

I would also suggest you  try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Still on my Pro Trial. Something to consider for if/when I upgrade my license.

Hi @adunn ,

Have you load your custom data connector into gateway?   On the gateway settings page in the Power BI service, did you allow using custom connectors with this cluster.

Capture2.PNG

For more details, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-custom-connectors

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Yes, that is how I set up my Gateway to load in the Custom Connector. It is set up in my Gateway as such. Regardless, it still is not detected as an available Gateway when I upload reports using that Custom Connector.

I found a solution. It is not ideal however.

I was keeping my Reports on OneDrive, and adding them to my Workspace through OneDrive. When I did this, the Dataset would not allow me to connect it to a Gateway.

When I published the Report directly through Power BI Desktop, I was able to connect the Dataset to my Custom Connector in my Gateway.

It is frustrating because this de-links the Report from OneDrive, so updating it locally will no longer result in a OneDrive refresh of the Report.

I hope this can be solved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors