Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rgrimm
Employee
Employee

Upload error: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request

I have an Azure subscription with a Power BI Embedded resource (A1). I am attempting to upload a PBIX file from desktop. it is over 2G big. I have verified that my Azure PBI Embedded services is running and active.

About 30 seconds after finding my workspace in the list and clicking the Select button, I receive an error message:

Publishing to Power BI

An error occurred while attempting to publish <name>.pbix: The remove server returned an error: (400) Bad Request

I am blocked. What do you recommend?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If you already have a dataset loaded you are over the 3GB of memory allocated to an A1, because it has to host the existing model and upload the new one.

Try and increase the sizing to an A2, which is 5GB, that might be close, I would actually recommend an A3 which is 10GB

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If you already have a dataset loaded you are over the 3GB of memory allocated to an A1, because it has to host the existing model and upload the new one.

Try and increase the sizing to an A2, which is 5GB, that might be close, I would actually recommend an A3 which is 10GB

Power BI Blog

After some experimentation, I did find that an A1 size was insufficient. I deleted everything that was previously uploaded so that I was starting clean. An A2 instance also proved insufficient. Ultimately I needed an A4 (10G) to handle a PBIX file that was only 1.56G image on my disk. There is apparently some decompression happening after uploading. 

Kudos to @GilbertQ ! Power BI team, please improve your upload error! It wasn't a "bad request," rather it was a case of the uploaded image being larger than the provisioned capacity.

Thanks for the kind works.

Yes when you store a PBIX on disk it is the compressed size before all the memory expands.

You can estimate the memory size to be 3-4x the size of the PBIX

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors