cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpquinn Helper I
Helper I

Upgrading from Power BI Gateway - Enterprise to On-premises Data Gateway

Hello, I currently have "Power BI Gateway - Enterprise" installed to the same sever that hosts my SQL Server, which has my SSAS cubes that are on-prem hosted to the Azure cloud aka PBI Service. I'm told that it's old, and that I need to upgrade to the latest. I understand the last is called On-premises data gateway. Who has performed this upgrade? Did you encounter any issues or obstacles?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Upgrading from Power BI Gateway - Enterprise to On-premises Data Gateway

@jpquinn It's an in-place upgrade. There are no issues, it will recognize your installation and update it automatically. Just get the latest OPD gateway and run through the install wizard.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User III
Super User III

@jpquinn It's an in-place upgrade. There are no issues, it will recognize your installation and update it automatically. Just get the latest OPD gateway and run through the install wizard.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Hi @jpquinn

I have upgraded in the past and not had any issues.

I would suggest that you make sure that you have got your recovery key saved and know what it is in the event that something does go wrong.

You can then easily un-install and re-install the On-Premise Gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.