Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrading a classic workspace to a new workspace

I am trying to upgrade a classic workspace to a new workspace, but it fails with an the underlying error being unknown.

16 REPLIES 16
vincentmullers

This bug does not yet seem resolved as I've tried updating the workspace today and still getting same error as mentioned by @Anonymous 

Any additional steps that were taken? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could have been a fix on my individual issue, but I wouldn't know that answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No additional steps taken. Submitted a ticket to PBI Support back in December and they were able to fix it by January.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you please share more about the error message? You could follow the steps firstly to check if you ignored some details.

Reference:

Upgrade classic workspaces to the new workspaces in Power BI 

WorkspaceUpgradeGIF.gif

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Was there a resolution to this question without raising a support ticket?  I have followed the steps exactly and have the same issue.  Do I just raise a support ticket?

I had the same issue, kept getting unknown error, but found this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Can-t-upgrade-Classical-workspace-to-new-workspace-experienc...

I also removed the logo image (same as person mentioned added and then removed image) and then my upgrade worked, bit of a faff but quicker than raising a support ticket.

Thanks @Emma_A  that helped me! I was able to succesfully upgrade the workspace after removing the image.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Emma_A 

Thanks for that post, hope it helps someone here. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @coreyedwards,

There was no resolution on my issue without raising a support ticket. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We're also running into the same issue and would love to know how we can resolve it ourselves without lodging a ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

That would be great, unfortunately, there was no resolution on my issue without raising a support ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xuding-msft ,

I did follow those steps when I got the failure message.

This was the message I received:

Workspace upgrade failed
Please check the technical details for more information. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Underlying Error: UnknownError
Activity ID: 25a4310e-13c2-4a86-91c5-f7d756874426
Correlation ID: 984647e9-2159-9fe1-9c3b-5bc0c7a9b711
Request ID: 6f4a4fd8-5420-f2b6-4fe5-4c7955fd326c
Time: Wed Dec 04 2019 07:42:14 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.11499.187
Client version: 1911.3.022
Cluster URI: https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Has this been resolved?  I am experiencing the same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tctrout 

Yes, it was resolved. I had to submit a support ticket as it was a bug the product team had to fix.

Thank you.  Do you remember the details by chance?

I was speculating that it has something to do that even though I am listed as the workspace admin, perhaps I was not listed as the group owner in the old classic workspaces.  I am still trying to troubleshoot this, but wasnt sure if I was on the right path.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tctrout 

I thought the same when I had the issue, but that didn't solve it, unfortunately. No details were given, just that it was a bug that PBI support escalated to the product engineering team. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors