Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

seanpratt
Helper III
Helper III

Updating .mez Query for Power BI

Good morning all!
I've been working closely with a company who's BI lead is off on maternity leave and their entire model has collapsed into itself since she left. While going through their files, I found an error in her query steps that is filtering out important data that's causing massive errors in the data. Here's my question:

The query is from a ".mez" custom connection. I'm able to connect to it on my home computer (because I placed it in the right spot) and make the query adjustments and fix everything - but they operate mostly from the Power BI Service. I fix their model via desktop and save it. Go back to PBI Service and it's still not fixed. Can I fix this query on the web version - I can't even find it. Or do I need to save and re-publish? Will that work?

Having some real issues getting this query fix to impact their online dashboards.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @seanpratt - I know this is a bit late but in the future - .mez files are particular to the resource they are currently "on" unfortunately.

In this case, for the powerbi service to access that connector, you will have to place that in the PowerBI Desktop / Custom Connector folder on the host device of the PowerBI Gateway. A gateway has to be proxy for the PowerBI Service to use a connector like this.

Here's a pretty decent but slightly out of date walkthrough of putting the .mez file onto the Gateway and making sure it works with the on-premise gateway application:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Custom-Data-Connector-How-to-Deploy-and-Test/ba-p/86...

I'll post my own once I update it with images.

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @seanpratt ,

Sorry for our delay in response, if you mean the fix is changing the query in advanced editor, we need to republish to the service. First of all, we suggest to download pbix from service, so that it will as the same as the report from service, then we apply change in the pbix file, publish and replace the origin one, 

This process is straightforward, but there are a few things you should know:

• Two or more datasets in Power BI with the same name as the Power BI Desktop file could cause publishing to fail. Make sure you have only one dataset in Power BI with the same name. You can also rename the file and publish, creating a new dataset with same name as the file.
  • If you rename or delete a column or measure, any visualizations you already have in Power BI with that field could be broken.
  • Power BI ignores some format changes of existing columns. For example, if you change a column’s format from 0.25% to 25%.
  • Say you have a refresh schedule that is configured for your existing dataset in Power BI. When you add new data sources to your file and then republish, you’ll have to sign into them before the next scheduled refresh.
  • When you republish a dataset published from Power BI Desktop and have a refresh schedule defined, a dataset refresh is started as soon as you republish.

Please refer to this document about how to Republish or replace a dataset published from Power BI Desktop:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-upload-desktop-files#republish-or-replace-a-datase...

Then we may need to execute a on-demand or scheduled refresh to make the data changed with the new query. We strongly recommend test the "republish to replace" feature with a sample pbix file first.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
seanpratt
Helper III
Helper III

bump

Hi @seanpratt ,

Does this issue have been resolved?Could you please provide more details about it If it still not be resolved? Please don't contain any Confidential Information or Real data in your reply.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors