Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating data automatically in Power BI Service

I've read a lot about updating data automatically in Power BI but I still hasn't figured out how to make things work for me. So, here is my problem:

I have a report on my Computer, which I created in Power BI Desktop. In this report my data comes from 2 different Excel files. Everything (report and Excel Files) are saved in the same folder, in One Drive (saved in the OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer). Both my Data Sources were imported to Power BI Desktop through "Get Data" -> "Excel", choosing the file in the One Drive folder in Windows Explorer. Hence, the path to these files are "c:\users\my_user\OneDrive\...\filename.xlsx"

When the report was ready to go, I published the report in Power BI Service, through the "Publish" button. In Power BI Service, now I have my report and the dataset in my workspace, both named just like the .pbix file.  I thought this Dataset was linked to my OneDrive files, so they would get update hourly, but when I click "Update Now" it prompts me saying I should set up a Personal or Business Gateway. Given what I've read, I think PowerBI service is recognizing my files as local files, not OneDrive files. 

Given that one of the Excel files is updated daily, it'd be really nice to have it updated automatically on PowerBI based on my OneDrive file. Now, what I'm doing is generating the updated file, going to Power BI Desktop, clicking "Update" and after the data is updated, I re-publish the report to Power BI Service.

Could someone please help me? 

Best regards,

Guilherme Vecchi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please use Web connector rather than Excel in Power BI desktop. If you are using Onedrive for personal, please refer to this method. If you are using Onedrive for business, please refer to this article.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please use Web connector rather than Excel in Power BI desktop. If you are using Onedrive for personal, please refer to this method. If you are using Onedrive for business, please refer to this article.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. 

I've tested it out but for now, I tested only importing the OneDrive file. Works just like a local Excel file. 

I still have to test how it works when I publish the report to Power BI Service. Hopefully it'll update the report based on the OneDrive file automatically.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors