Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

blombergs5
Frequent Visitor

Updating app does not give access to underlying dataset for new reports

We have a premium workspace with a App and all of the old reports work fine.  However, when we added new reports and republish the app, people cannot see the reports and get a error saying that they do not have access to the underliying data set.  (see image)

blombergs5_0-1665752324339.png

But, in the Dataset > Manage Premission, everyone in the app has access to the dataset.  The only fix that i have found is removing the person from the app and having them re-request access.  The reports have no row level security and are using dataflows that are in the same workspace

blombergs5_1-1665752823288.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
UOLandrewdale
Advocate II
Advocate II

We have discovered that even though APP (build) is showing in the manage permissions list for the dataset if you click on the 3 dots to the right and try to add one of the additional permissions then the additional permissions do not appear. The work around is to add the user using the "+ Add user" button at the top and add the same user even though they are showing in the list. Nothing appears to change in the list but you can tell something has changed because you can now add additional permissions. 

Update from MicroSoft support call

The engineering team has identified that App consumers may encounter a bug when trying to open an app report and they are working on a fix. Our product team has provided an ETA for end of December, please be aware that this is only an estimated date.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
UOLandrewdale
Advocate II
Advocate II

UOLandrewdale
Advocate II
Advocate II

We have discovered that even though APP (build) is showing in the manage permissions list for the dataset if you click on the 3 dots to the right and try to add one of the additional permissions then the additional permissions do not appear. The work around is to add the user using the "+ Add user" button at the top and add the same user even though they are showing in the list. Nothing appears to change in the list but you can tell something has changed because you can now add additional permissions. 

Update from MicroSoft support call

The engineering team has identified that App consumers may encounter a bug when trying to open an app report and they are working on a fix. Our product team has provided an ETA for end of December, please be aware that this is only an estimated date.

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @blombergs5 

According to my search and research on the internal issue website, a similar issue has been discovered by our technical support and submitted to the product group.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1665972881847.png

ICM ID: 337617847

The product group is currently working on the root cause of this problem.

I will let you know if there is an update or estimated repair time.

Thank you for your support and understanding of Power BI!

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Do you know of any timeline for when this will get fixed?  I guess for the time being we will just have to manage access to reports individually.  Also, the error submitted to the product group has datasets in a different workspace, all of ours are in the same workspace, dont know if that maters. 

Hi , @blombergs5 

For your issue with the same workspace, I tested it here, the steps are this:

(1) First "Create an app" in the workspace
(2) Click "Update app", then add a report to update the app
(3) Share the link of this app to users with permission
Result: The user can still open the app without error. Permissions in the "Manage permission" of the dataset are also added and displayed normally.

I did not repeat the problem you said, if our steps are inconsistent, can you provide your detailed steps for us ?

For this ICM, it is still being studied, but his problem error is somewhat similar to yours.I will get back to you as soon as ICM updates.

Thank you for your support and understanding of Power BI!

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi @v-yueyunzh-msft ,

Our problem (and from the way I read it @blombergs5 's problem too) is not with new Apps, but with an existing App, created before the New App Experience was rolled out.

Steps as below;

1) Take an existing App, established for some time, with existing reports working fine, all reports and datasets are in the workspace the app is published from.

2) Add a new report to the workspace

3) Update App, include new report in content

4) Inform users of new report availability

Users can still access pre-existing reports as before, but new report raises the permissions error

Regards

Calum

Hi , @blombergs5 

According to my test, publish a new dataset and report to the workspace in the existing app, and then after the Upadte app, the new dataset will add the permissions of the corresponding person, as follows:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1666246813543.png

If you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi @v-yueyunzh-msft , @blombergs5 

I have raised a support ticket with the MS ServicesHub against our Enterprise support agreement, the engineer has asked for a few extra details. I'll post back here if/when I get any updates.

Hi, @blombergs5 

Thank you for your trust and support in PowerBI, I hope you can solve the problem as soon as possible, and look forward to your sharing!

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

This is exactly correct. 

We've had an update on our ticket, after some investigation work, and the problem is being worked upon as a bug by the engineering team.

Calum

CalumSharp
Frequent Visitor

We've picked up on the same problem, although it does not appear to be consistent - some apps exhibit it, others do not.

In addition to removing users and having them re-request access, we got reports working for users receiving the error by granting them direct access permission to the report (Workspace > Contents > report > Manage Permissions). When removing the direct access for the report, the user is still able to access the report without the permissions error.

Also note: the reports that have the error show the permissions for App users as "App" (or "App (build)" if you selected build rights) as above, but the old reports, which do not show the error have this;

CalumSharp_1-1665764661671.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors