Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating a data set for an existing report

Hi everyone,

I am sure the answer is out there somewhere but I need it fast and couldn't find it right away. We have survey data in a CSV file (converted from an SPSS file) and an existing PowerBI report based on that data. Now we have more survey responses (new countries having taken part) that need to be added to the report. The country variable exists already with all countries (including the new ones) but so far there wo no responses attached to the new countries of course. 

How do I update the dataset to include the new responses while maintaining and updating the existing visualizations to take into account the new totals and display the new country data?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

No

For example

You have a file contain jan data

You have a file contain feb data

Currently your power bi data model linked to the jan file. if you change to feb its only show the feb data only(if the structure the same)

If you want to show combined  feb+jan data in power bi I suggest to copy paste the jan+feb data 1 file (report input) and next time when you make new month update you only need to add the mar data in this file

That I think the easiest way.

You can create a model in power bi using multiple data source/table like example 12 data table for 12 months, but in this case you need to define the relations with this tables with unique key. That can be also an option however its more complicated than the copy paste action

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

is the data format is the same? do you have the same number of columns? for my report there is a column country and sometimes I have12 next month 23 and it easily visible.

but every month I have the same data structure with the same column names

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Huba, the data format is the same but it comes as a new file and the number of columns/variables is exactly the same. So the entire structure of the dataset is the same. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have the following data set

Firs line is the header after there are plenty lines for the jan data, plenty of feb etc. I update every month with the new month data. And this option is working well for me.

Are you sure your report does not use page level/report level filter? Maybe you already excl some countries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Huba, my question is more basic than that. Can I just replace the dataset and the report keeps on existing or how do I do that?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you can replace it.

If you don’t need historic data you can delete the current one and copy the new one.(or if you want to have historic data just copy the new month data after the previous one in the same file)

Just make sure the file name+extension is the same (as you mentioned the structure already the same so on that there is no changes)

however if you use get data from different data source you can change the data source if you click edit queries data source settings change source to the a new file

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent, that helps a ton. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Huba. So if I change the data source but the data source has the same structure and same name as the old data source, then my report will remain intact and show the updated visuals that now include the new month(s) of data? Did I get that right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No

For example

You have a file contain jan data

You have a file contain feb data

Currently your power bi data model linked to the jan file. if you change to feb its only show the feb data only(if the structure the same)

If you want to show combined  feb+jan data in power bi I suggest to copy paste the jan+feb data 1 file (report input) and next time when you make new month update you only need to add the mar data in this file

That I think the easiest way.

You can create a model in power bi using multiple data source/table like example 12 data table for 12 months, but in this case you need to define the relations with this tables with unique key. That can be also an option however its more complicated than the copy paste action

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors