Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating Power BI report via Sharepoint

Hi everyone,

I've published a report onto Power BI Service using a pbix file uploaded to a Sharepoint site.

The report is using a data gateway to connect to data.

According to Microsoft Docs, when using a Sharepoint site to publish a report, it's updated automatically when a change is detected to the pbix but when I do so, it doesn't update my report on Power BI Service.

Any Ideas.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think that line you are quoting refers to this: "Because both Power BI and OneDrive are in the cloud, Power BI connects to your file on OneDrive about every hour". You would have your changs up to date because it check every hour. That doesn't mean real time changes. 

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

You will need to activate OneDrive refresh in the dataset's settings.

It can take Power BI up to 60 minutes to refresh a dataset, even once the sync has completed on your local machine and after you've used Refresh now in the Power BI service.

These documents might help you to better understanding the OneDrive refresh in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#onedrive-refresh 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
amikm
Helper V
Helper V

@Anonymous , It refreshes every 1 hours not in realtime, When you want the data to get refreshed on demand you can go to Power BI service and click on refresh dataset. 

Also, I am not sure why you need a getaway If your source dataset is on the cloud. Are you also using any source file which is on-prem or within the firewall?

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think that line you are quoting refers to this: "Because both Power BI and OneDrive are in the cloud, Power BI connects to your file on OneDrive about every hour". You would have your changs up to date because it check every hour. That doesn't mean real time changes. 

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors