Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amitkar1980
Frequent Visitor

Updating Parameters for a Custom PowerBI Connector

Hi,

I have created a Custom PowerBI connector which calls a Rest API with some parameters e.g.

1) URL

2) ObjectId

3) StartDate

4)EndDate

5) EntityIds ( optional)

The connector works well on powerBI desktop and also on PowerBI service. But it seems I have to create multiple versions of data sources for the same URL and ObjectId, to cater for users needing to report against different Start and End Dates. 

I tried to work around it yt adding startdate and enddate parameters to the datasets and mapping them to the connector parameters in PowerQuery. But  I get "Update Parameter Failed" everytime I change the dataset parameters and click apply . Also there is nothing in the gateway logs.

So, my question is is it by design that the data source definittion once created (with all required parameters) cannot be overwritten by dataset parameters or is a limitation of custom connectors at the moment? If so, is there a way around it

Cheers,

AK

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @amitkar1980 ,

I'd like to suggest you add an optional parameter allow you to add contents to push to datasource, then you can do operate with these received optional contents on datasource side.
It should simple than setting and compare received records(into the custom connector) from datasource.
In addition, I'd like to suggest you post this to develop forums to get further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi ,

I tried that already. From my example, I had a parameter created for EntityIds (which is an optional connector parameter) and upon publishing, tried to update it. But it encountered the same error. So something tells me that tha dataset parameter change is not supported for custom connectors which is a big limitation.

As per your suggestion, I will post it in develop forum.

Cheers,

Amit

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors