Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

thlndlmngls
Frequent Visitor

Update data source file (Excel) on OneDrive after uploading pbix file from Power BI Desktop

Hello,

I am quite a new to Power BI Service. Would you please help me to find out a relevant way to update a data source file (Excel) on OneDrive.

I have created a report on Power BI Desktop and then published it on Power BI Service by using pbix file on OneDrive.

Untitled.png

Now I am seeking the best way to update the report on Power BI service with the data source file (Excel) on OneDrive, which will be updated later.

Here are the questions regarding the situation.

-Is it possible to change a data source file (Excel) on OneDrive when I published a report by using pbix file? If so, how can I change the settings?

-If not, what is the alternative way to use a data source file (Excel) on OneDrive?

-Is it better to use workflow or other functions?

I am looking forward to your answer and advice.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thlndlmngls ,

When you store a Power BI Desktop file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, any data you’ve loaded into your file’s model is imported into the dataset, and any reports you’ve created in the file are loaded into Reports in the Power BI serviced. 

When you make changes to your file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, such as adding new measures, changing column names, or editing visualizations, once you save the file those changes will be updated in the Power BI service too, usually within about an hour.

You can perform a one-time, manual refresh right in Power BI Desktop by selecting Refresh on the Home ribbon. When you select Refresh here, the data in the file’s model is refreshed with updated data from the original data source. 

When you import your Power BI Desktop file from OneDrive, or SharePoint Online, data, along with other information about the model is loaded into a dataset in Power BI. In the Power BI service, not Power BI Desktop, you want to refresh data in the dataset because that is what your reports, in the Power BI service, are based on. Because the data sources are external, you can manually refresh the dataset by using Refresh now or you can setup a refresh schedule by using Schedule Refresh.

When you refresh the dataset, Power BI does not connect to the file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online, to query for updated data. It uses information in the dataset to connect directly to the data sources to query for updated data it then loads into the dataset. This refreshed data in the dataset is not synchronized back to the file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online.

You can refer to the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thlndlmngls ,

When you store a Power BI Desktop file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, any data you’ve loaded into your file’s model is imported into the dataset, and any reports you’ve created in the file are loaded into Reports in the Power BI serviced. 

When you make changes to your file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, such as adding new measures, changing column names, or editing visualizations, once you save the file those changes will be updated in the Power BI service too, usually within about an hour.

You can perform a one-time, manual refresh right in Power BI Desktop by selecting Refresh on the Home ribbon. When you select Refresh here, the data in the file’s model is refreshed with updated data from the original data source. 

When you import your Power BI Desktop file from OneDrive, or SharePoint Online, data, along with other information about the model is loaded into a dataset in Power BI. In the Power BI service, not Power BI Desktop, you want to refresh data in the dataset because that is what your reports, in the Power BI service, are based on. Because the data sources are external, you can manually refresh the dataset by using Refresh now or you can setup a refresh schedule by using Schedule Refresh.

When you refresh the dataset, Power BI does not connect to the file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online, to query for updated data. It uses information in the dataset to connect directly to the data sources to query for updated data it then loads into the dataset. This refreshed data in the dataset is not synchronized back to the file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online.

You can refer to the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-xicai 

Thank you for replying and detailed information.

According to the information you provided, I have decided to use data on One Drive with Power BI Desktop, and then publish it on Power BI Service and set scheduled update.

Thank you again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors