Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matt_Alexander
Advocate III
Advocate III

Update Report published to web

Hi, 

I have created a report in PBI Desktop, published it to the service, and then to the web. Then I realised there was a spelling mistake in one of the table titles, so republished to the service and then again to the web. In powerbi.com the file has been updated, but in the web version it hasn't. I have been provided with the same long url as the previous publish to web.

Does anyone know why, or perhaps how long it takes for the web version to updated in line with the version that's correctly published to the service?

Many thanks!

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Matt_Alexander,

For this problem, you could try these workarounds:

• Edit the report, change the table titles directly on service side.
  • Remove the original dataset and report stored on service, after modifying the table titles on desktop, re-publish it to service.

With above two ways, the report will update at once on service as well as on public web.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Matt_Alexander,

For this problem, you could try these workarounds:

• Edit the report, change the table titles directly on service side.
  • Remove the original dataset and report stored on service, after modifying the table titles on desktop, re-publish it to service.

With above two ways, the report will update at once on service as well as on public web.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello all,

I want to update the datasets used by already Web-published Power BI reports. I don't have the Power BI server, only the desktop application and my account on the PowerBI online development site

Just to to check that I understand correctly - in order to refresh or update the datasets of my already published-to-Web PowerBI report I need to:

1. Delete it from my account in the online development service

2. Go back to my desktop application and re-publish the report.

3. Back in my account of the online development service I need to then re-publish the report to the Web

Is this correct?

If this is the case then when I re-publish the report does it get a new URL or does it's old URL (of the version of the Web-published report I deleted, i.e. want to update the dataset of) stay the same?

I ask this as I don't really want to have to send a new URL to a PowerBI report to my users just because I have updated the data in it.

Be great to hear if I am on the right track with this, or, if I have missunderstood the process then please let me know how to update the data of already Web-published Power BI reports

Thanks in advance

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It often takes some time for the web version to update, I believe that there is caching going on.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler OK thanks for the info, just wanted to check it wasn´t happening just to me!

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors