Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update Report on an existing Dataset in Power BI Service

Hi All,

I'm trying to update a new report from PBI Desktop to PBI Service and since it has the same source as an existing report in the service, I'd like to connect it to that Dataset instead of duplicating the dataset (that at the beginnin will have the same name as the report).

Is there any way to update a report and connect it  to an existing dataset?

Thanks in advance,

Gio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  , @Anonymous 

After my test, you need to publish the new report to the same workspace ,otherwise, a new dataset is still generated.

I suggest you try steps as below:

Create Report1-> live connect to SSAS ->create report -> publish to powerbi  service  (workspace1/report1/dataset1)
Create Report 2->connect to PowerBi Dataset (dataset1) ->create report ->need to publish to the same workspace (workspace1)

Create Report 3->connect to PowerBi Dataset (dataset1) ->create report ->need to publish to the same workspace (workspace1)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ranbeermakin, @v-easonf-msft 

Actually the source is a SSAS Tabular model.

I wanted to avoid the following scenario, where every time a user creates a report in PBI Desktop and uploads it to the Service, a new dataset (named after the Report) gets created, but the source is always the SSAS Tabular model accessed in online mode:

Report | Dataset
R1 | R1

R2 | R2

R3 | R3

R4 | R4

R5 | R5

R6 | R6

R7 | R7

Thanks for any suggestion,

Giovanni

Hi  , @Anonymous 

After my test, you need to publish the new report to the same workspace ,otherwise, a new dataset is still generated.

I suggest you try steps as below:

Create Report1-> live connect to SSAS ->create report -> publish to powerbi  service  (workspace1/report1/dataset1)
Create Report 2->connect to PowerBi Dataset (dataset1) ->create report ->need to publish to the same workspace (workspace1)

Create Report 3->connect to PowerBi Dataset (dataset1) ->create report ->need to publish to the same workspace (workspace1)

Best Regards,

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

As mentioned by @Greg_Deckler , @ranbeermakin  ,you can create  the new report by using the existing PowerBi dataset here.

However, the use of such datasets will have many limitations in modeling.

205.png

Best Regards,

ranbeermakin
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Anonymous 

Your problem is quite common. Therefore it is always recommended to separate model with visualization. A Power BI file (PBIX) is a combination of model and visual. So the best practice is:

1. Create a model using PBIX file, publish to service

2. Consume this model to create visuals. Use Get Data->Power BI datasets

3. If you need to modify the model, go back to #1 and update it. 

Let me know how it goes

Best,

Ranbeer M

If this posts helped you, please accept it as the solution.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Might be able to do it by creating a new PBIX, connect it to Live Power BI dataset and using Advanced Editor. Worst case, do that and copy/paste the visuals over.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors