Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomas12344
Helper II
Helper II

Update Power BI App after changes made in report

Hi All

Can someone explain, how the update of Power BI App is working?

Have read the documentation, but not sure, that I understand.

Have the following situation:

- Report is created in Desktop

- then report is published to Service

- then I refresh the report manually or schedule the refresh. Here I'm not sure, how the update of Power BI App is working (see the questions)

The question:

1. As I understand, there should be automatic update of the PBI app. But doeas it means, that the PBI app is updated only with the scheduled refresh, and when the structure of the report doeas not change? (only new data is loaded, for example when in production daily load)

2. Do I need to push the Update App button, every time, when I change the structure of the report and after that, let the report schedule? (For example, when I change, add, remove some visual, or page of the report, not only load new data)

3. Do need the enduser do something, when I change the report? Currently, it is working that way, that I refresh the data (manual or scheduled), update the App and tell enduser, that they should refresh/reset  the report on theyr site.

Please let me know, what are the best steps, to refresh the content of PBI App.

thank you

Tomas.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @tomas12344 ,

There are 2 separate items here- refreshing the report dataset and making changes to the structure of the report.

When the dataset is refreshed, you do not need to update the app. The refreshed data will appear in the app automatically.

When you change the structure of the report (add, edit visuals, etc.), you do need to update the app. These changes will not appear in the app automatically.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @tomas12344 ,

There are 2 separate items here- refreshing the report dataset and making changes to the structure of the report.

When the dataset is refreshed, you do not need to update the app. The refreshed data will appear in the app automatically.

When you change the structure of the report (add, edit visuals, etc.), you do need to update the app. These changes will not appear in the app automatically.

@djurecicK2 
Is this the case as well if you, for instance, just add a measure to the report? No changes to the visuals 

Do you still have to update the app? 
Thanks

Hi @AlB ,

No, I'm pretty sure you do not need to update the app for just adding a measure. But I will test it and let you know the results.

Hi @djurecicK2 ,

Do you know whether it is possible to set an app to auto-update when a new version of a report is published?

Many thanks,

Dave

Not through the PBI service. You'd have to look at using the Power BI API which has some complexity to it. Here is more information if you want to try it:

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Developer/Power-BI-Rest-API-to-Update-Workspace-App/m-p/25...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors