Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBIGpig
Frequent Visitor

Update Dataset without installing Gateway

Hello!

I am under some strict conditions for using PowerBI, and installing the Gateway will not be done without a committee, multiple sacrifices and a sizeable down payment to the IT gods.

With that in mind, is there a way to update PowerBI Pro Dataset (which was uploaded from PowerBI Desktop) without the Gateway?

2 REPLIES 2
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerBIGpig ,

ALong with @lkalawski answer, you could do a personal gateway.  (Assuming that the IT Gods will turn a blind eye to such things and not require too much of a sacrifice.)   This means that you would have to keep your computer "on" during those refresh times that you set, but that is probably about it.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

lkalawski
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @PowerBIGpig ,

If the data is on-premise server, there is no other way to refresh the data in Power BI Service. A gateway must exist for the data refresh request to succeed.

In this case, there are two solutions:
1. Install the gateway to connect to the database.
2. Transfer data to the cloud, then the gateway will not be needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors