Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Al345
Frequent Visitor

Unrecognized Fields for only one user

We have published a report to our workspace (not an App, just a regular workspace) and shared with with 700+ users. After publishing I renamed a few fields and republished the report. For most users that did not cause any issue, but for three users a few of the visuals that displayed the field I had renamed gave the Unrecognized Fields error. In one case, the user clicked the refresh report button and the error went away. In another case, that didn't work so I unshared and reshared the report with him and although it didn't seem to immediately work, after a few days he no longer recieved the error and has not experienced any issues since. 

One user is still experiencing the error and these are the things we have already tried: 

- User has clicked the refresh report button

- I have unshared and reshared the report with her

- User has tried three browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Explorer) from two different computers

- User has cleared her browser cache

Another interesting thing about this is that there are two visuals that display the field referenced in the error and only one of them gives the error, the other one displays just fine. I also checked to see if maybe she had created a personal bookmark that referenced the field I renamed but the user has not created any report bookmarks. 

Short of removing the report completely, republishing it, and resharing it with users, I'm not sure what else we can do. We are hesitant to go that route as it will clear the bookmarks for the other 700+ users who are not experiecing any issues. Is there any reason the report would function differently for some users? How can we publish updates to the dataset that avoid future errors like this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

Apologies I never meant for you to log in as the user, but rather to your suggestion that they did try to log in on another PC

What you could possibly do is to remove their shared report.

Let the user click on the old link. This will return an error, which is fine. It might clear the old link cache in the Power BI Service.

Then re-share the report and let the user click on the new link?

If you can post back and see if that works?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What happens if you try log in as the same user on a different PC with a different browser.

It sounds to me like it could be a caching error.

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ, 

Do you mean me logging in with the user's credentials? I have not tried that and I'm not sure what our policy is about using other user's credentials so that may or may not be an option. The user has tried Chrome, Firefox, and Explorer on her regular desktop and another computer and has gotten the same error in all cases. 

I was also wondering about a caching issue but the user cleared the browsing data for Chrome, reopened the report, and clicked the refresh button but still got the same error. 

Hi there

Apologies I never meant for you to log in as the user, but rather to your suggestion that they did try to log in on another PC

What you could possibly do is to remove their shared report.

Let the user click on the old link. This will return an error, which is fine. It might clear the old link cache in the Power BI Service.

Then re-share the report and let the user click on the new link?

If you can post back and see if that works?

Power BI Blog

That's a good idea and something I have not tried. I will try and get back to you to let you know if it worked. Thank you!

Al345
Frequent Visitor

Hi @GilbertQ

I was able to test this solution with the user this morning and she is now able to view the full report in Edge (woohoo!). The visual still will not render in Chrome, do you know of any issues related specifically to Chrome? I suggested she uninstall her version of Chrome and download the latest version. 

Hi there

That is a great job finding out how to get it working.

I have not had any issues using Chome, I did install an updated to Google Chrome today actually!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors