Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MulberyPie
Advocate I
Advocate I

Understanding Gateways for SQL

I'm confused on how to set up a gateway and the microsoft documentation is confusing. The SQLdatabase is not hosted on my computer. Do I need to make a gateway on my computer for service to pull the data or does the computer that the server is hosted on need to set up a gateway. If it is the host computer how do I then add the gateway to my powerBI service account?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

You need to install the data gateway on a Windows machine (or virtual machine) ideally on the same network but not the same server as the SQL database. Avoid installing on a PC that may or may not be running whenever the gateway needs to be accessible (refreshes, dataflow development).

Once that's done you have a quick setup to do on the Power BI service so that it's aware of the gateway and has the necessary source credentials.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

You need to install the data gateway on a Windows machine (or virtual machine) ideally on the same network but not the same server as the SQL database. Avoid installing on a PC that may or may not be running whenever the gateway needs to be accessible (refreshes, dataflow development).

Once that's done you have a quick setup to do on the Power BI service so that it's aware of the gateway and has the necessary source credentials.

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

I have a gateway set up now on the network, but I don't know how to add it to my gateways. There's nothing in the dropdown menu in manage gateways, and it's not a personal gateway so it doesn't show up under the dataset options. Where can I connect to it?

I was sent this labeled, 'this is how it shows up in power apps'. Do I need permission to access it? What other information should I ask for? I don't get how I connect to it.

MulberyPie_0-1657721472390.png

You need to input your SQL Server's credentials in that screen.

I don't know how to access that screen. They just sent it to me as an example. Should I tell them to put the server information in it?

Yes!

How would I access this gateway once they do? I went into powerapps where they got to that screen and it still says I have no gateways. Aside from the setup I don't understand how to connect to it or have it show up in my gateways. Do I need to be added to it?

Yes you need to be added as a user:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/onpremises-data-gateway-management

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors