Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

po
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Uncompressed size limit execeeded error message despite uncompressed table being appprox 3GB

Hi,

Have a pbix file approx 450 MB and can refresh in desktop fine 40 million rows 2.7GB fact table and other tables fairly small.

Get error message when try refresh via gateway saying uncompressed file size limit exceeded

Error: The received uncompressed data on the gateway client has exceeded the limit.

The exact limitation is 10 GB of uncompressed data per table. 

Why woud be ge getting this message for the table when cleraly way under 10GB?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

@po Are you referencing the source fact table multiple times in any of your Queries in Power Query? Is there something in that process that would explode the data size prior to loading it into the compressed model?

Also, there should be more specific error messages in the log files on the gateway - maybe a peak there would help determine what in particular is causing the out of memory exception.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Not using calculated columns - no fancy power query not referenced multile times.

Simple import of table joined to other tables via manage relationships on join keys sales table e.g linked to products.

Looked at logs and power bi gateway template report - nothing obvious spooled bytes way less than 10GB.

Could you please advise specificially what in logs to look for?

Thanks

Hi there

I have not had that error in the past.

Could you try the incremental refreshing?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for suggestion.  However, incremental refresh not appropriate here.

@po I was re-reading this and it almost sounds like the issue could be on the server/machine that hosts the gateway and not necessarily the Service. Do you have enough RAM on the machine hosting the gateway to process and push the data to the Service? Might help to monitor that machine while you are initiating a refresh.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for suggestion -  enough cpu/ram when ran last time looked at whilst running - 8gb ram

@po Its still likely what the error is explicitly pointing out. The uncompressed data is a lot larger than you think. See similiar thread here -> https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/The-amount-of-uncompressed-data-on-the-gateway-client-excee... 

Have you tried any methods to reduce the size of the model? Remove any columns that are not needed, etc?

Thanks for reply.

The table is a fact table with not very manu columns, no calculated columns, no strings and all numeric values - fully optimised.

As the docuemnation states The amount of uncompressed data on the gateway client has exceeded the limit of 10 GB for a single table

The size of the table on disk is 2.7 GB and  and even ran with no visuals and also used the power bi gateway performance report and shows spooled disk size (assume this column)  alos other columns number of byeses not near 10GB hence unlcear why get this error.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-performance

Hi there

The size on disk is the compressed size.

A rough estimate is that the memory requirement is roughly 3-4x this size on disk, which would push it over 10GB

Can you please run the DAX Studio View Metrics and post the output here for us to assist?

Power BI Blog

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

This is uncompressed size on disk of the data before hits power bi - oracle storing the data and 2.7gb on disk uncompressed.

Thus expecting it to easily fot within the 10GB power bi limit but somehow doesn't

Thanks

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

There are quite a few things that could be causing this.

One question I would ask is are you creating any tables or calculated columns using DAX?

The reason for this is because this data would not be compressed before sending it via the Power BI Gateway.

Also if possible to use incremental refresh on your fact table?
This will reduce the amount of rows required which will also decrease the memory size and data size.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors