Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jiwhite
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unable to update permissions after Pro trial ends

I used the Power BI Pro trial to check out report sharing.  After the Pro trial ended I no longer have access to view or change permissions to the reports although they can still be viewed by others who still have access to Pro.  Can I change the permissions on the reports other than deleting them?  This appears to be a security issue.  It would make sense if I could remove people, but not add them.  It doesn't make sense that others can view my reports when I no longer control the permissions for sharing.

After posting this in the Server community, I received an email welcoming me to a Power BI Pro 60 day trial.  When I clicked on the link, I had to log in to Power BI as if it were my first time logging in, but my account showed up the same without Pro access.  I have already used the Pro trial and the free extension.  I requested having Pro added as an enterprise license, but that hasn't happened.  If I could pay for Pro access myself, I (and my team) would until an enterprise license is available, but I can't pay for Pro access myself either.

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jiwhite,

As it's free license, I'm afraid it's not able to change sharing settings for dashboards and reports. If you have backed up pbix files or you are able to download report from Power BI service, you can delete reports then republish them. 

We can purchase Power BI Pro through Microsoft Office 365 or through a certified Microsoft partner, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-purchasing-power-bi-pro

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I understand how to remove access if I need to. However, that’s not my point. The documentation states that users with a free account cannot share reports. My reports remained shared after I reverted to a free account. That’s not appropriate data management and the functionality is improperly documented.

Hi @jiwhite,

I would suggest you post a idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is a security bug report, not a feature request.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors