Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SoltV
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unable to update existing report (error 409)

From time to time I have the same problem as described here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Error-when-Publishing-The-remote-server-returned-an-error-4...

When a report is published from PowerBI Desktop, Desktop tells me that the report already exists and do I want to replace it. This is ok, because I want to update the existing report. Sometimes the replace-operation sort of hangs and the spinner keeps spinning. When I click cancel and try to publish the report again, Desktop tells me, there's a conflict (error 409).

Now, when I try to update the report from PowerBI.com, using the Get Data -method, the operation seems to go ok, but the report isn't updated. No errors, no warnings, nothing.

I know there's something going on behind the scenes, but what and is there something I can do to fix it?

Deleting and republishing the report is not an option, because these reports are used in an embedded environment (the GUID for the report changes, the embedded environment is relying on those GUIDs).

The reports are referencing to a dataset built with another report (golden dataset -report, other reports use this as their datasource, datasource-report loads data from azure db in import mode). Problem occurs both on the datasource-report and others referencing to it. I haven't used a lot other types of connections, maybe this issue is limited to these kind's of situations?

When I wait long enough (I don't know how much exactly, maybe 15 minutes to an hour), the updated report is visible.

So the problem eventually seems to fix itself, but this is really annoying feature! Sometimes I'm in a hurry to update a report, but when this problem occurs, there's nothing I can do. Maybe print out the errors somewhere and give an estimate, when the conflict is resolved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@SoltV ,

Please check if the desktop version is the latest. If this issue still persists, I would suggest you to create a support ticket here.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@SoltV ,

Please check if the desktop version is the latest. If this issue still persists, I would suggest you to create a support ticket here.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuta-msft ,

That seems to fix the issue for now, thank you!

There was no way to update the reports which were in conflict state, but at least I'm now able to update other reports normally.

This problem has been around for quite some time now (at least haf a year) on different versions of PowerBI Desktop. Is this related to Desktop versions?

Whenever a new version comes out, I haven't updated to it right away, I've been waiting for some time, just to make sure the new version doesn't have any serious bugs in it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors