Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apfenech1

Unable to update data source credentials

Previously, it was possible to update the data source credentials regardless of being an owner of the dataset.  Now, whenever we go to update the data source credentials, errrors are thrown.  The only way to update the credentials is to take over the dataset. 

In these first images, I am not the current dataset owner and am unable to connect with OAuth or with the account key.  When I try to update the credentials for OAuth, it says that is not allowed and to reach out to an admin.  When I try to use the account key, it also fails and does not allow to connect.

Screenshot 2022-09-21 122632.pngScreenshot 2022-09-21 122543.png

When I take over the dataset, I can update with either OAuth or an account key and both authentication methods successfully connect.  In the image below, I am the dataset owner and successfully connect with both OAuth and the account key.

5ea80e70-c0c7-4832-bfb9-10572e35dfe5.png

This was not an issue until recently (I believe it started in the last 1 day or so).  Prior, we would be able to update the data source credentials without having to take ownership of the dataset.  Additionally, the error messages it is presenting in the first images seem to be incorrect; particularly noted with the OAuth error not being correct.

The images only show a Databricks data source, however this issue is persistant across any datasource including Sharepoint, Databricks, and others.

EDITED TO ADD:

It should probably also be noted - once I take over the dataset, I don't even have to update the credentials for the data sources to connect successfully; they validate themselves with the information that was already stored with the dataset prior to taking over the dataset.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @apfenech1 ,

According to the official article description, which is currently the normal case, only the dataset owner can configure to edit the dataset:

Each user can only have one set of credentials per data source, across all of the datasets they own, regardless of the workspaces where the datasets reside. And each dataset can only have one owner. If your want to update the credentials for a dataset where you are not the dataset owner, you must first take over the dataset by clicking on the Take Over button on the dataset settings page.

vluwangmsft_0-1663813668702.png

refer:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data 

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @apfenech1 ,

According to the official article description, which is currently the normal case, only the dataset owner can configure to edit the dataset:

Each user can only have one set of credentials per data source, across all of the datasets they own, regardless of the workspaces where the datasets reside. And each dataset can only have one owner. If your want to update the credentials for a dataset where you are not the dataset owner, you must first take over the dataset by clicking on the Take Over button on the dataset settings page.

vluwangmsft_0-1663813668702.png

refer:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data 

Best Regards

Lucien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors