Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rl_evans
Helper II
Helper II

Unable to test RLS with guest user

The  new Guest User for B2B is a great feature! However, I've found one minor glitch. I'm unable to test RLS on the published dataset in powerbi.com for guest users. I am able to add the guest user to the role but when I try to impersonate the guest user, the "select person or role" dialog box doesn't recognize the guest user and won't let me enter them. RLS does work for the dataset and we can we show that by logging in as the guest user in power bi and viewing the report. We just can't test it via impersonation.  Is this a known issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rl_evans
Helper II
Helper II

Well, I stumbled upon the solution.  The UI doesn't display the AAD list of names but if one simply tabs to the next field, the Apply button becomes active.  DOH!  At this point, I was able to test using impersonation.  I suppose it would be more obvious if the Apply button became active as soon as one starts typing in the Select Person field.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have similar issue, but not exactly same. When I do the impersonate testing by selecting Test as, I put my name in the Select Pseson, I can see my name there, but when I click my name or type my full name, and click anywhere of the window, my name does not show up at all, and the selected role is unticked automatically. Therefore I cannot select other users for testing.

Has anyone meet smae issue?

PBI_RLS_Error.jpg

Apparently, this is a recent bug that was introduced into the PowerBI.com service.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/RLS-test-as-role-not-working-in-service/idc-p/370141#M22635

rl_evans
Helper II
Helper II

Well, I stumbled upon the solution.  The UI doesn't display the AAD list of names but if one simply tabs to the next field, the Apply button becomes active.  DOH!  At this point, I was able to test using impersonation.  I suppose it would be more obvious if the Apply button became active as soon as one starts typing in the Select Person field.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rl_evans,

You can do Test as a role first. Then uncheck the box and enter the user account that you want to test.

Unable to test RLS with guest user.png

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think you missed the point which is that the guest user account doesn't show up in the "select person".  You can type in the guest user but the Apply button stays grayed out because the guest user isn't recognized as a member of your AAD.  Notice that in your example you entered Admin2 but also notice that the Apply button is gray as Admin2 isn't recognized.

Hi @rl_evans,

I had tested it successfully before I gave the advice to you. You need to add the guest user first. Please refer to this document.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Guest user access if fully working for us except for being able to test via impersonation on powerbi.com service.

Here is were we enter the guest user's account into the role.  Notice that the account shows up in the AAD list of users for selection.

Add to role2.jpg

The guest user is added to the role.

Added to role.jpg

However, when trying to impersonate the guest user, it doesn't show up in the AAD list (notice that the drop down list doesn't appear).

Add for impersonation2.jpg

Even if I just type in the full guest user name, the Apply button remains grayed out.

Hi @rl_evans

I think that will come in time. The only other way I can think of testing is to test it with an external account that you have access to.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @rl_evans

You can test the RLS in Power BI desktop.

You can do this by going into the Modeling Tab, then clicking on View Roles, and then select View Roles As

And in here put in the Guest users UPN (Email Address)

Email Pic (1).png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, it can be tested via the PBI desktop which is why I said that it is only a minor glitch that RLS for a guest user can't be tested via the powerbi.com service.  However, it is still a glitch and I have to believe that it can be easily corrected by Microsoft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors