Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dheeraj10
Employee
Employee

Unable to test RLS in power bi service with Azure Analysis service

Hi All,

I had recently migrated my on-prem analysis service to azure analysis service.

I used to test RLS in my reports connected to on-prem analysis service by following steps:

1. Open "Manage Gateways" in power bi service.

2. Under Gateway Cluster, click on the data source configured for the report to access the cube.

3. Then click on Users tab, and click on "Map user name"

dheeraj10_0-1595004755883.png

dheeraj10_1-1595004829451.png

I used get the below where is can give my email in "Replace" and impersonation email in "With"

dheeraj10_2-1595004893712.png

After this process, when i used to open the report i was viewing as impersonated email.

Since I moved to Azure analysis service, On Prem gateway will be available in azure portal directly.

And I dont need to configure the data source. I can publish the reports directly to my workspace and give access to users to view the reports.

To test RLS in power bi service connected to Azure analysis service, is there any way like above mentioned ?

Please help me out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dheeraj10 ,

Previously, you were only able to implement RLS within on-premises Analysis Services models outside of Power BI. For Analysis Services or Azure Analysis Services live connections, you configure Row-level security in the model, not in Power BI Desktop. The security option will not show up for live connection datasets.

For reference:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Row Level Security with SSAS Tabular Live Connection in Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dheeraj10 ,

Previously, you were only able to implement RLS within on-premises Analysis Services models outside of Power BI. For Analysis Services or Azure Analysis Services live connections, you configure Row-level security in the model, not in Power BI Desktop. The security option will not show up for live connection datasets.

For reference:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Row Level Security with SSAS Tabular Live Connection in Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors