Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chadrenstrom
Frequent Visitor

Unable to take over sample dataset

We have a workspace in premium capacity which has the Microsoft samples published to them. Very handy for impromptu training sessions. One of the connection strings: powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/Microsoft Power BI Samples;initial catalog=Human Resources Sample

The user who published the datasets/reports has left the organization and now the datasets show the usual message, "This dataset has been configured by a user that no longer exists. Would you like to take over the settings?" When I click "Take Over" then acknowledge the splash screen, then nothing happens.

I also tried the powershell method to take over the dataset. It runs, but nothing happens and no error is returned (info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/takeoveringroup). When I check the configuredby field via powershell the line is missing (info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/getdataset)

I could republish them as a work-around, but it seems to me there is an underlying problem that I can't take over datasets. If this were a large production dataset, republishing would not be acceptable.

Any suggestions for how I can take over these datasets?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, @chadrenstrom ! Did you resolve this problem? Seems im facing the same issue. Can you please share the solution?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would suggest if this is not working do you have the Admin role in the App Workspace?

If that still does not work i would suggest logging a support ticket to see if they can resolve it for you?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I do have the admin role, I will open a support ticket. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors