Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to setup Gateway for Amazon Athena in PowerBI Service.

Hello All,
I connected Amazon Athena as data source (Import Mode) in powerBI but when I am publishing that dataset to Service, I am not able to setup schedule refresh as I am unable to setup a gateway for that connection.
When I am connecting Via. ODBC connection then I can perform the schedule refresh.
But when I am using direct Amazon Athena as a connection it’s not working.
If you have any solution for this please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous @vandenhende 

As far as I know, this connector was released after July last year and may not be mature at this stage, even the official doc does not mention the scenario of connecting to the service.

Solved: Amazon Athena Connector witouth Gateway - Microsoft Power BI Community

You can go to the release announcement or the following doc of the connector and give Microsoft feedback of your thought or missing feature: 

Power Query Amazon Athena connector - Power Query | Microsoft Docs

Power BI July 2021 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vandenhende
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Sunil for creating the topic. 🙂  I am looking into this issue with Sunil. 

Perhaps I will share some additional details from my end as well.

We used to use a generic "ODBC" connection before in PowerBI desktop to Amazon Athena.

What we have noticed is that query folding is not properly working then. Since we want to enable incremental refresh, it needs to properly pass the rangestart and rangeend date parameters back into the Athena query.

We have noticed, while using the PowerBI "athena" connector, this seems to work better in PowerBI desktop. So on our local laptops we have an athena simba odbc connection, configured with a client and a secret. It nicely works.

But now it comes, while trying to enable this functionality of the POwerBI gateway machine, the connectivity options are limited. The "basic" authentication option is missing (for entering clientid and secret). We can only choose OAUTH2 or Anonymous.

Does anyone know a working gateway configuration for the Athena dsn? 

vandenhende_1-1649158295534.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm having the same problem here, exept right now I cant even find the "Amazon Athena" connector on the gateway datasorce options.

Anyone knows how to connect this through the gateway? The OBDC option should work with both the "OBDC" and "Amazon Athena" connectors?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors