Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kjohn10
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to set enterprise gateway for data source after publishing

I have a pbix developed in desktop, with a few data sources using ODATA connection to SAP.

Everything works fine on desktop. I then publish it to our powerbi.com, and it shows up in the Reports and it opens fine.

Now I want to schedule it for auto-refresh, however I run into this error message:

You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset. Please install a new personal gateway or configure the data source for an existing data gateway.

(see image below).

On that screen, I am not able to select 'Use a data gateway'. We have our enterprise gateway already installed and working for other reports. These few data sources have been configured on that gateway already. Why can I not select a gateway?

datasource-gateway1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @kjohn10

That would often happen when one of the sources is not configured in the On-Premise Gateway.

What I would suggest doing is to open your Power BI Desktop file and click on Data Source Settings. See how many data sources you have in there, and then see how many you have and how they are configured.

Then ensure that you have the identical setup in the Power BI On-Premise data sources in the service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kjohn10,

Please click "Manage Gateways" under setting in Power BI service, open the ellipsis(...) on the right of your gateway. And check if you add the Odata data source. If you haven't, please add the dataresource first as the screenshot below.

1.PNG

Except that, I glad to help you if you have any other peoblems, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @kjohn10

That would often happen when one of the sources is not configured in the On-Premise Gateway.

What I would suggest doing is to open your Power BI Desktop file and click on Data Source Settings. See how many data sources you have in there, and then see how many you have and how they are configured.

Then ensure that you have the identical setup in the Power BI On-Premise data sources in the service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks. Looks like it came down to the "Authentication Method" configuration; In desktop, all 3 feeds were set to 'Anonymous', but in powerbi.com 2 of the 3 were set to 'Windows' auth. Changing those 2 to 'Anonymous', and now I was able to select the gateway for scheduled refresh.

Just tried a scheduled refresh, and it failed. All I got was "Oops, something went wrong." email notification. The [Learn More] link leads to a page full of random stuff to check and try, yikes. Off to troubleshoot more. I wish the email had a little more detail as to what "went wrong".

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kjohn10

You may want to review the article for configuring the enterprise gateway.  We ran into a similar issue with non-descript failures until we discovered we did not have the correct ports open for the enterprise gateway. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

Thanks for the tip, however we've had various other reports working fine with scheduled updates. I'm working on getting access to the server where the gateway is installed to enable detailed logging and see what gets captured.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors