Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to see second gateway in PBI Service

I have installed and configured the on premise gateway (Gateway1) on a WIN Server (Server1) which also has my SSAS instance to be used for reports.  I am able to see Gateway1 through my PBI Service after logging in and navigating to the Manage Gateway portal.

Next, I have another server (Server2) also with SSAS instnace installed on it.  In Server2 I also downloaded and installed the on premise gateway (Gateway2) and I did not pick the option to 'add to existing gateway cluster'.  On Server2 I can see that the gateway Status is 'The gateway Gateway2 is online and ready to be used'.  However, in PBI Service under Manage Gateways, I cannot see Gateway2.  Only Gateway1 is currently visible.

I used the same email address for both installations.

Hope someone can help.

regards,

J_K.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

After some checking I've managed to find the issue.

Both gateways were configured using a special service Windows account that was created and designated specifically for gateway management.

I was not seeing Gateway2 through the Manage Gateways portal because I was logged into PBI Service as me and I had no admin permission for the newly created gateway (Gateway2).

I logged into PBI Service with the designated service account and granted Admin permission on the newly gateway through the Manage Gateways portal.

After that when I log in using my personal account I am able to see the newly created gateway.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous Is the second server part of the same domain, and follow the rules of being a valid server for gateway install?

• The gateway cannot be installed on a domain controller
  • If you are planning to use Windows authentication, make sure you install the gateway on a computer that is a member of the same Active Directory environment as the data source(s).

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick response Seth.

Regarding the 1st question, 'Is the second server part of the same domain'

I checked the System setting on both servers and this is what I found (using fake names):

Server1 Domain: prod.mydomain.com

Server2 Domain: test.mydomain.com

The second server is valid for gateway install.

Anonymous
Not applicable

After some checking I've managed to find the issue.

Both gateways were configured using a special service Windows account that was created and designated specifically for gateway management.

I was not seeing Gateway2 through the Manage Gateways portal because I was logged into PBI Service as me and I had no admin permission for the newly created gateway (Gateway2).

I logged into PBI Service with the designated service account and granted Admin permission on the newly gateway through the Manage Gateways portal.

After that when I log in using my personal account I am able to see the newly created gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors